Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dust Col. Adapters: what works? 4" to 2-1/4 OD or 2-1/4 OD

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Leahy View Post
    I think what Bill is trying to tell me is that I won't see any dust. I think what Alan is trying to say is to underscore Bill Penz's words, and make me realize that I could have done better with larger ducting, and that there will still be invisible dust particles in the air. And, at this point in the life of my wallet, that means either scrounging for a fan, buying a pleated/pocket filter and some pre-filters and build an air cleaner, or start saving up for a commercial air cleaner unit. I wonder if this cheap one at Grizzly is a waste of money: http://www.grizzly.com/products/g5955

Dennis
    My shop has no windows and no cross ventilation. The whole shop will fill with a haze of fine dust in a matter of minutes. Using a single stage DC with a bag filter only make things worse, and fills the room with dust in a matter of seconds. Therefore I bought the Jet air filter which is similar to the Griz above. There is no way you can remove fine dust fast enough once it is finely dispersed in the air. It does help with the fine dust that settles everywhere after making working in the shop, but the shop still gets very hazy. I've concluded, that if I want my shop to be safe and enjoyable, I need to catch as much dust as I can from the source. Thus, I'm shopping for a cyclone.

Blog Entries
    For my 2-1/4" stuff I generally use a shop vac (watch for the Ridgids that go for $20 around Christmas time) but, part # 468 should get you where you are trying to go if you are set on using the DC.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler