Thread: GLOAT...kinda, sorta...

GLOAT...kinda, sorta...

This is actually an ongoing, ever-changing gloat. And it is also a "heads up" to you all if it happens to be available in your local HD's.

I am making it a regular habit to stop in at my "local" HD and do a walk thru for deals (you know, closeouts etc.). BUT, I am also making it a habit to checkout their selection of cull lumber. It seems they regularly cut up stock that has been damaged, or whatever, into snaller pieces and sell them GREATLY reduced. Regularly, I can pickup 4-5' 2x4's for $.51 each. Sometimes I am even treated to 2x10's and 2x12's for the same price.

Today, however, I came upon 1/2" MDF. 2'x4' sheets for $1.01. I bought 6. I also got some 1x6 poplar for $.51.

I'm happier than a pig in slop.

I look there also. Lately, our store hasn't had much to offer.
    The better stuff seems to never make it to the cart.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I look there also. Lately, our store hasn't had much to offer.
    The better stuff seems to never make it to the cart.
    I just met the guy that actually does all of the cutting, etc. I'm thinking that he might be a good guy to get to know.

You know...introduce him to the family...have him over for dinner...get him something for Christmas...

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Burrell View Post
    I just met the guy that actually does all of the cutting, etc. I'm thinking that he might be a good guy to get to know.

You know...introduce him to the family...have him over for dinner...get him something for Christmas...

I think your onto something there Harold LOL

5. I do believe you deserve a You Suck image... If even a smaller version..

I've got to make a habit of checking with my local BORG and lumber yard.. But only issue is, if they have anything of worthwhile size, I have no way of getting it home myself.

I need a truck.. Or a hitch and a trailer.

Regardless, good deal..

Hd

One by me sucks and not in a good way.Seems that they change brands alot,while one HD has plywood at one price,the one by me has the same thing but at a higher price.I was told that its because of different mangers.But one thing they do have in common is that their cabinet grade plywood "SUCKS" and not in a good way.But like you,I still go by there just to look---Carroll

Since I didn't know that HD HAD a cutoffs area I will be going by there regularly from now on. I shall also check Lowes across the street. This is good info and I can see some smaller projects coming out of this. Thank you!

I just recently found that section too... Picked up 25 pieces of 2x6x4' cedar decking for $1.01 each There's a lot of knots but will work for a couple planned projects.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schapansky View Post
    Since I didn't know that HD HAD a cutoffs area I will be going by there regularly from now on. I shall also check Lowes across the street. This is good info and I can see some smaller projects coming out of this. Thank you!
    I didn't know they had one. Where in the store is it typically located?

I used to call my steel suppliers to check cutoffs, I bought so much they sent me a weekly list of what was available.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I also learned that steel companies charge you for a full sheet if you order a half a sheet of something, then sell the cutoffs to someone else.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
    I didn't know they had one. Where in the store is it typically located?
    In the lumber department, usually on a cart in the middle of an aisle.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    In the lumber department, usually on a cart in the middle of an aisle.
    Maybe this expains why if you turn your back on your cart for a few seconds, someone will run off with the stuff on your cart -- sometimes the whole cart. I've seen that happen a remarkable number of times. It's right up there with stealing your cart in the grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Baker View Post
    Maybe this expains why if you turn your back on your cart for a few seconds, someone will run off with the stuff on your cart -- sometimes the whole cart. I've seen that happen a remarkable number of times. It's right up there with stealing your cart in the grocery store.
    Now that's funny,
    Sorry for laughing Ryan if it's really happened to you.