Thread: Has anybody made a wooden movement clock?

Has anybody made a wooden movement clock?

I'm talking about a clock with all its components (gears, pendulum, handle, frame, etc.) made from wood. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-rRhZrmuL8&feature=fvw

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated. Perhaps some sources for plans?

thanks,
    -Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Check

I started making one from Clayton Boyer's site http://www.lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/Claytonsite1.htm which is the same designer as the youtube clip you referred to. I pretty much cut out all the large wheels, and was starting to make the smaller pinons. The smaller pinons were for me much harder to make as accurately as I would like.

I have an idea for some jiggery which should hopefully make the process easier, but I havent had a chance yet to follow thru on the ideas. Maybe after the holidays?

Andy

Yup...but wow that was some time ago...about 10 years, I think. Pretty fun I have to admit. I took some liberties, though. When it asked for plywood for the face and back, I used burl walnut. I got it together and got it to work, but it had a VERY unfortunate fall that was a disaster right about the time I was "tuning" it. I got frustrated, and chucked it.

I would love to do one again some day, but there is a lot of time involved and I just don't have enough of that right now to devote to a "fun" project.

I used a 9" band saw with an 1/8" blade to cut the gears. Not a really accurate machine. Probably would have been easier and more accurate with a good scroll saw.

Good luck!
    I drink, therefore I am.