Thread: Need to read up before even considering...

Need to read up before even considering...

The closest I've come to CNC is watching one run at a local industrial shop. I've begun to consider investing in a small, simple machine to create some repeatable projects. Then, I'll upgrade over time. So, what I need to do right now is learn about this technology. I don't know anything about machines, terminology, software, manufacturers, pricing, used vs. new, capabilities... or much of anything else. Direction to any introductory reference material would be greatly appreciated... unless there's a "CNC for Dummies" or the like.

Thanks!

email Techno router Inc, get them to send you the "Techno Book of CAD CAM CNC".. it's free and will help you to understand CNC routing.

or read it online: http://www.techno-isel.com/Education...ical%20section

Between the forum here and cnczone, you'll find all of the info, and answers, that you will need. Before I built my router I spent about 18 months researching the various options. Start with the oldest threads you can find and work your way to "today" - you'll be amazed at what you can pick up.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hammond View Post
    The closest I've come to CNC is watching one run at a local industrial shop. I've begun to consider investing in a small, simple machine to create some repeatable projects. Then, I'll upgrade over time. So, what I need to do right now is learn about this technology. I don't know anything about machines, terminology, software, manufacturers, pricing, used vs. new, capabilities... or much of anything else. Direction to any introductory reference material would be greatly appreciated... unless there's a "CNC for Dummies" or the like.

Thanks!
    Tom
    you have come to the right place. Since you have only seen a machine run at a local shop, you might want to visit someone in your area where you live to look at their machine. And ask lots of questions.Their are lots of posts here on the creek about what CNC machine to get. And each of us here at the creek have our opinions about our machines.The one thing that is VERY important is customer support. Long after you bought that CNC. For me the guys at Camaster are great. After a few computer training sessions, and helpful phone calls from the Camaster guys and Jim Mcgew. I was able to cut my first parts in a day and a half. And this morning I am learning more 3-D cutting and have done a bunch of 3-D parts. The machines are easy to run, it's the software that takes time!
    Camaster CR410 & Epilog Helix
    Prosperity, is something that business people create.......for politicians to take the credit for.

i started with the carvewright it was simple and a large waste of money in the long run but it did expose me to cnc. after that joey and camaster wrote my first files for me and have walked right with me all the way to wherever i am now.

some other manufacturer forums to watch are

www.camheads.org
    and
    http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/discus.cgi

as mentioned cnc zone is massive and i look in the commercial woodworking routers section

jim mcgrew

Thanks, guys. This is a good start for me.

a basic understanding of geometry, wood, signage or metal working will go a long way but not required. i consider the most important aspect is to be willing to learn, let people teach you (we kinda like that part, it helps us) and remember it is just a machine and is not smarter than you are!!

jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hammond View Post

Thanks!
    Take a look at allot of the recent threads here and you will see a number of people getting into CNC for the first time.

For me it all started when I was watching youtube videos of the Carvewright and thought it would be nice to get one as an intro to CNC. I fell asleep and woke up a few hours later with the gut feeling that I had to get a CNC router. Now about two months later I have a Shopbot PrsStandard 48x96 that should be cutting shortly after I get an electrician here.

I started out by thinking big but looking for a small machine. I would strongly consider a 4x8 machine if you have the room and budget for one. A smaller machine is fine, but make sure you get something that will cut what you need.

I started out looking at a carvewright, then a CNCShark, and then I settled on the idea of a 2x4, or 4x4 machine. At some point I gave in after countless people told me to go 4x8 and I saw how affordable the ShopBot was to go for it.

The bottom line is that CNC is not rocket science and while there is a learning curve, don't let that limit your dreams and creativity. All the Vectrics softwre is very easy to learn, and the rest is just a big table, with a router or spindle, gantry, and some motors.

Just make sure you buy a product with good support. The two machines you will see people talking about allot here are ShopBot and Camaster, which are both known for there support. There are other machines out there as well, but make sure the manufacturer will stand behind it. Be careful about certain Ebay, or imported machines, that might look like a good deal but are not.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 12-07-2009 at 2:08 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.