Thread: Heard'nuff, ready to buy D4, best deal?

Heard'nuff, ready to buy D4, best deal?

Someone in earlier post said they go on sale, please comment , with who, how$ and when? we should do a group buy!

Sales are rare...sometimes a slight deal at shows. In general, Lee Valley often has the best price "normally".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I got mine at Lee Valley too.
    Don't hold your breath for a sale, you'll likely suffocate first
    cheers

Woodcraft

David -

I got mine on sale (a couple of years ago) at Woodcraft. As I recall it was on sale for $329 regular $369 at the time.

Best price found on a quick Google search was $389 from Woodworkers Supply. One on e-bay for $275 - but not a D4.

Good Luck,
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Shrader
    Best price found on a quick Google search was $389 from Woodworkers Supply. One on e-bay for $275 - but not a D4.
    Lee Valley's regular price is $369. Strange that it didn't show up on Google...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...tegory=1,43000

Okay, Okay. Could anyone enlighten me to as what D4 stands for?

Okay, I saw Jim's Link to the LV site. Where does D4 come from???

Oh I see said the Blind man.
    Last edited by Rich Konopka; 10-05-2004 at 1:20 PM.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Konopka
    Okay, Okay. Could anyone enlighten me to as what D4 stands for?
    Rich,

If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it.
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Thumbs up Sale!!!

They are usually a little cheaper @ w.w.s.!!!! I got mine at one, for less than Woodcraft sale price, and it came with 8mm shanked bits (2 dovetail bits and a straight cutter) 8mm conversion sleave and a brass Leigh guide for your router.
    And remember, there is no more important rule than to wear these, safety glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bendel
    They are usually a little cheaper @ w.w.s.!!!! I got mine at one, for less than Woodcraft sale price, and it came with 8mm shanked bits (2 dovetail bits and a straight cutter) 8mm conversion sleave and a brass Leigh guide for your router.
    But you if you get it at WWS then you do not get the pretty Lee Valley catalog
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

'Nuther vote for LV! They had the best price and shipping was quick. If you should incur any problems, LV will take good care of you, as well!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

I'd cast my vote for LV. I bought mine several years ago from them. Never had a problem with it so I never had to test their Customer Service. Actually, I've never had a problem with anything I bought from Lee Valley but it is good to know how well they stand behind everything they sell in case you do. It's worth an extra $10
    Dan McLaughlin

The jig that I was planning to get was a toss-up between Festool and Leigh. Based on the other thread, I am now leaning towards Leigh. If I get the Leigh jig, it will certainly be from Lee Valley.

Over the years, we have probably purchased close to 100 items from Lee Valley and they have the best customer service period. And, I am talking about all services in all industires and businesses. Lee Valley is the best. (and they are Canadian and there is a store about a 15 minute drive from my house )

If you put your order in at a wood show, Lee Valley will knock off 7% and give you free shipping, at least they will here in Canada. I ordered the set of 3 spokeshaves on Sunday from them. Works out to be a nice deal.

True, true so very true. I did however get to buy it from Leigh directly, of course after watching an actual demonstration.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ballent
    But you if you get it at WWS then you do not get the pretty Lee Valley catalog
    And remember, there is no more important rule than to wear these, safety glasses.

David,

Leigh usually has a package deal at the Woodworking Shows, the jig, plus some extra bits, maybe the dust attachment, and specials on additional templates. Lee Valley is also typically at the shows and will price match. Another option is WoodCraft's 10% off days that seem to occur every other month or so. It's a fine tool and very helpful. I think the video is good for people that have not used the jig, although after you make a couple dovetails, I haven't watched the video. The manual is excellent. I also like the 8mm shank router bits. Leigh sells them as well as Lee Valley and others. A typcially set is 13 bits, but you will normally only use about half unless you do a lot of different dovetails. An extra set of the basic bits is good to have on hand, as I've broke a couple dovetail bits over the years. I think you'll enjoy the jig, just run though the manual the first couple times, and always use backer boards.

John