Thread: Natural Edge Bench

Natural Edge Bench

Another hand plane project -
    I just finshed this cherry natural edge bench. I got the wood from a man who listed cherry lumber for sale on craigslist. He said he had is sawed up 30 years ago, so technically this bench is as old as me?

It is about 7 feet long and it is croocked!! It makes an s shape, so I figured it would make a good bench. This is my first natural edge project. I am very happy with it, so I have started another one with some of the same lumber. Expect pics later this month.

This board has some crazy grain. It tore out really bad, leaving gouges on the surface. Rather than trying to plane below them - I went with it. Everywhere that I had gouges from tear-out I used a chisel to smooth the gouge. It makes a rustic, worn looking surface. My wife likes it, so mission accomplished. so far I get more compliments from guests on this bench than I do for my table - the table took over a year to complete and this bench took one month. Go figure!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Construction note - the brace on the bottom does not have tennons. I cut thru mortises on the legs and put wedges on either side of the legs. The wedges go thru slots cut into the brace. It seems to be a very stable and simple joint.

Technically, it does have tennons, the bottom rail is a tennon by definition. But regardless, a very very nice bench and you did a great job on it.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

Bob, your general design for the bench compliments the character of the wood very well. Getting a smooth glass finish on the seat would not have been in keeping with that theme - so, I would have to agree with your wife that it turned out great! Not to take away from your table, as apparently the two are different in many ways, but the bench catches one's eye because of the rustic appearance.

Great use of the wood!

I really like the s-curve shape to the top. Nice Job!!

Simply put... I like it and it looks great!
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Thanks, it sure was fun.