Thread: Milling my own dovetail jig

Milling my own dovetail jig

I have access to a CNC mill at school. Does anyone have a drawing or suggestion to how to draw the dovetail and box joint jigs as shown on MLCS: http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...vetailjig.html

I've never used one so I don't know the proper spacing.

Any suggestions would help!

I would start by drawing out some dovetail joints, measuring the dovetails as well as the diameter the guide bushing for the router. Then its just math from there, but it may take a little bit of trial and error. I would recommend doing a few forum searches here since there should be a ton of information on dovetail angles, spacing etc...

If your going to the trouble to make your own I would make a jig with variable spacing while your at it.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 12-07-2009 at 10:41 AM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schwartz View Post
    I would start by drawing out some dovetail joints, measuring the dovetails as well as the diameter the guide bushing for the router. Then its just math from there, but it may take a little bit of trial and error. I would recommend doing a few forum searches here since there should be a ton of information on dovetail angles, spacing etc...

If your going to the trouble to make your own I would make a jig with variable spacing while your at it.
    would probably start with something simple, just an aluminum plated with the pins on 1 side and the corresponding tails on the other. don't really consider it any trouble. piece of cake to watch it cut after drawing it, just the cost of the aluminum too.

I would be interested in this as well.