Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen showroom pricing?

No Discount for me

I was at the L-N showroom in October and purchased several items. No discount was offered, but I didn't ask for one either.

I find that many who disparage L-N tools have not used them. The quality of the tools and the support given users by the company justifies, in my mind, the premium price. Though I have shelves full of old tools, the ones most often used when I really want to build something instead of just mess around are the L-N tools.

What surprises me is the people that buy L-N tools and don't use them. I can't count the times I have seen L-N planes for sale NIB or several years old and only lightly used.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Shepard View Post
    I was at the L-N showroom in October and purchased several items. No discount was offered, but I didn't ask for one either.

I find that many who disparage L-N tools have not used them. The quality of the tools and the support given users by the company justifies, in my mind, the premium price. Though I have shelves full of old tools, the ones most often used when I really want to build something instead of just mess around are the L-N tools.

What surprises me is the people that buy L-N tools and don't use them. I can't count the times I have seen L-N planes for sale NIB or several years old and only lightly used.
    I would wager that if you wrote, or called, Tom he would issue you the 10% discount; you should not have to ask for it.
    DICK
    We can only be, what we give ourselves the power to be~ Cherokee Feast of Days

I have it from a reliable source that Woodcraft is currently developing a Lie-Nielsen competitor line of premium planes with the expert input from an industry authority. This will be separate from the current Woodriver line of planes.

Scott in Montana

To end the discount speculation, I went to the source and emailed customer service.

Kirsten Lie-Nielsen wrote back:

"You are most welcome to visit the showroom! We do offer a 10% showroom discount, as you have heard. We are also happy to give tours of our shop upon request, and demonstrations of the tools. The showroom is open from 9 to 5 on weekdays, and thru the month of December on Saturdays as well."

So, for those so inclined, ask and ye shall receive, I guess. Covers any sales tax and then a little extra, if they have sales tax in Maine....

I am glad that is still the case. i was beginning to question my short term memory.

Kieran

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Aubochon View Post
    I would wager that if you wrote, or called, Tom he would issue you the 10% discount; you should not have to ask for it.
    Those who do not ask do not get.

I do not know about Maine, but here in the Washington/Oregon area many of the stores in Washington will drop the sales tax if you can show you are from Oregon. Due to people from Oregon getting upset, it is a common question when checking out at the cash register. Oregon does not have sales tax. Washingtonians are supposed to declare any items bought in Oregon annually on their state taxes. One problem is that Washington doesn't have an income tax so people do not file an annual tax statement.

Best laid plans of mice and men...

jim
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Rogers View Post
    Does anyone think these planes:
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2021...er-Planes.aspx
    figure into a marketing decision by L-N?
    Or maybe the decision is being made by Woodcraft.
    Joe

I went to a blade sharpening class last weekend, and the instructor implied as to why Woodcraft is no longer getting any shipments of Lie Nielsen planes in their stores.

It seems Lie Nielsen is an honorable company, and Woodcraft pulled one on them. They were developing a line of planes together, and Lie Nielsen developed the plans for the plane and later decided that they could not produce the plane at the desired price and retain any profit. Woodcraft took the plans that were developed by Lie Nielsen and started production in Japan. And now there is a lawsuit. Happy times.

I wanted to buy a smoothing plane while at the class, but they only had 4 or 5 Lie Nielsens, and nothing that I was looking for. I asked if they could order one or if they would eventually get one in, as I wanted to use my in-class discount, but they said no.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S Anderson View Post
    .... Woodcraft pulled one on them..... Woodcraft took the plans that were developed by Lie Nielsen and started production in Japan. And now there is a lawsuit.......
    Oh, jeeeeez. A few months back, I got myself a #71 router from Woodcraft, with a 20% discount and free freight - prolly $40 total saved. Assuming (and i have no reason to doubt it) you got the correct information, then I feel like a bit of a heel, because LN has always treated me very well. I'll still sleep at nite - that is one of 10 LN planes I have bought over 10 years, not to mention dovetail saw, mortise chisels, some screwdrivers, and a countersink - most direct from LN - but still.......that ain't close to to being right. I don't (knowingly) do business in that kind of environment.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Lie-Nielson &Woodcraft

About two weeks ago I purchased a tool from Woodcraft. It did not work on my machine. I paid cash, I returned it the following week, with receipt, told them that it didn't work, got 1/2 my money back, the rest in store credit. I didn't even use the item, they could resell it no problem. Every time they have a sale or I get one of their coupons, even for a birthday, I am hard pressed to walk out with anything in my hand. They will be the next one to go OOB. They won't see me again.

I went to a blade sharpening class last weekend, and the instructor implied as to why Woodcraft is no longer getting any shipments of Lie Nielsen planes in their stores.

It seems Lie Nielsen is an honorable company, and Woodcraft pulled one on them. They were developing a line of planes together, and Lie Nielsen developed the plans for the plane and later decided that they could not produce the plane at the desired price and retain any profit. Woodcraft took the plans that were developed by Lie Nielsen and started production in Japan. And now there is a lawsuit. Happy times.

I wanted to buy a smoothing plane while at the class, but they only had 4 or 5 Lie Nielsens, and nothing that I was looking for. I asked if they could order one or if they would eventually get one in, as I wanted to use my in-class discount, but they said no.
    Woodriver? If they were made in japan, they wouldn't be cheap. They make them at the next door

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Satur View Post
    About two weeks ago I purchased a tool from Woodcraft. It did not work on my machine. I paid cash, I returned it the following week, with receipt, told them that it didn't work, got 1/2 my money back, the rest in store credit. I didn't even use the item, they could resell it no problem. Every time they have a sale or I get one of their coupons, even for a birthday, I am hard pressed to walk out with anything in my hand. They will be the next one to go OOB. They won't see me again.
    I hear you. Lately, I've not been happy with WC, and although I did put in an order last week, it was with a free shipping code, plus a $10 off a $20 order code, and I got $50 worth of shellac sticks on a closeout for a net-net of $10.85. That's the only type of business I will be doing with them. I used to do a lot more, but they've seemed to lose their customer focus, and now, if this story about a lawsuit with LN is even close to being true, their corporate integrity.

I have always had very good luck with my local WoodCraft. I think a lot of it has to do with the individual owner of the store. The store owner has always been fair with me and taken tools back that either did not work or was not what I wanted. I suspect that the WoodCraft stores are having trouble like most other stores.
    I like going to that store as I can actually pick up and feel a tool before I buy it. Most times, I could buy things a little cheaper online but can not get the feel of a tool with my computer screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim N Maine View Post
    We had more fun at "The Shelter Institute" just north of Bath, ME on the return trip. Hand tools of all types galore. Must have been 20 or 30 different Japanese cutoff saws alone. Quite frankly, Lie Neilson is quite overrated IMHO.
    Ah....Pat and Patsy Hennin. I discovered them many years ago in one of Alex Wade's wonderful homebuilding books which highlighted their first home. Times were simpler then. <sigh> Quite a contrast to today's boutique tool hedonism.

When matched up with Lie-Nielsen and Lee Valley/ Veritas, Woodcraft seems to have its corporate head up its assets. I won't be back in either after this and other industrial hijacks.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have always had very good luck with my local WoodCraft. I think a lot of it has to do with the individual owner of the store. The store owner has always been fair with me and taken tools back that either did not work or was not what I wanted. I suspect that the WoodCraft stores are having trouble like most other stores.
    I like going to that store as I can actually pick up and feel a tool before I buy it. Most times, I could buy things a little cheaper online but can not get the feel of a tool with my computer screen.
    Agreed Larry. The owner of the WoodCraft here in my area (Atlanta) is a top notch guy and bends over backwards to work with his customers. I have had absolutely no problems with him or his store. Not sure what is going on with corporate but I wouldn't use a broad brush to include all retail stores.

In terms of LN discounts (or lack of) I don't personally have an issue with it. They are superb tools that a lot of hands touch before they get to me. They aren't imported pieces of junk that get stamped from a machine. I will gladly pay a premium for this. Personally I'm surprised they don't cost more than they do. I'm probably in the minority that thinks they aren't making a whole lot of money from each tool.
    With skill and tool we put our trust and when that won't do then power we must.