Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I really THAT bad of a person?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I never donate to charities that spend less than 75% on actual charitable work.

I have to admit that this keeps the list of acceptable charities low, however being treasurer of a charity that spends less than 10% on administration, I have a right to be picky.

Regards, Rod.
    +1 (except I'm not a treasurer). It is really quite shocking to see some of the administrative overhead costs associated with charities.

I don't do the nickel and dime donation thing. I pick one or two charities to give cash, get my recepit so I can deduct on my taxes.

The other two things I've started doing is to pick up several of the wish-lists from "giving trees" and go buy those toys to give to the charity to use at Christmas. My family is a PIA to shop for (and if they really want something, they will just go get it for themselves anyway) so now most of them get a card that says their gift was "baby dolls and a basketball" donated in their name to XYZ.

The second thing is to deliver canned goods DIRECTLY to the food pantry instead of leaving the bag on the stoop. I know the little card says the Boy Scouts or the mail carriers are running the drive but I didn't SEE who left the card. I can print up little cards with logo's taken from web sites and get a bunch of free food too...
    Last edited by Rob Young; 12-10-2009 at 10:07 AM.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

We get the united fund thing at work and they really push it, I just dump the literature (and pledge form) in the trash before I even leave the conference room we have the drives in.

Like someone once said, "Just say No" and that's what I do.

If asked, I'll reply I give to Vets organizations and the NRA.

Al....who thinks dollars going to the PVA is right at the top of worth while causes.
    Remember our vets, they need our help, just like they helped us.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    They ring it up, and before I can slide my debit card in, the screen is asking me if I will donate $1 to something. I didn't even look, I just said yes and moved on.

Am I a bad person because I HATE when people do that stuff.

No you're not a bad person, but I highly suspect that "I just said yes and moved on" is exactly why they do it.

I just say "no thanks", and move on.

I have to admit that this keeps the list of acceptable charities low, however being treasurer of a charity that spends less than 10% on administration, I have a right to be picky.

Regards, Rod.
    +1 to Rod for one of the best comments to this thread.

I give plenty to charity -- but charities that I choose, and have checked out.

I give almost nothing to people to come to the door. The sole exception there is the neighbours kids who doing "jump rope for stroke" or some such. And in that case it's more about supporting the neighbour's kids than the charity!
    "It's Not About You."

Scott:

Don't contribute if you don't want to, and quit feeling guilty. Remind yourself of the contributions you DO make on a regular basis - Church, United Way, etc. - and be done with it.

I hate these things too. I was fortunate to attend college in New York City in the rough and rowdy middle 1970's and developed some VERY good refusal skills. I can say "NO" at the drop of a hat. I love putting up a brick wall in front of those phone guys soliciting money for firemen. I'm perfectly happy to look right past panhandlers. (The only thing that catches me are the Jehovah's Witness or the Mormon door-to-door folks. I love to engage in discussion!)

I'm not mean or stingy, and I'm sure you're not either. But to give out of guilt is not something I do. I'm very intentional (and generous) with what causes I support and why.

So tell 'em nope, not today, gave at the office, out of change, sorry but I have to check with the wife - whatever works for you. And remind yourself of the giving that you have already done.

Carlos

What really gets my shorts in a bunch is all the organizations who have now taken to soliciting donations whilst standing in traffic at busy intersections. I don’t know about you all, but this seems to have gotten really popular in my area over the last couple of years. The FOP, firemen, little league, Pop Warner, cheerleaders, local marching band, all manner and denomination of religious groups, youth organizations, and on, and on, and on. Not only is this dangerous, but is far too pushy in my book.

And speaking of dangerous… on the way to Menards one day this summer, I was fortunate enough to drive by a group of professional exotic dancers collecting money for charity at an intersection near my house. They may have been operating a carwash or something, but I wasn’t paying attention to their signs. I kid you not, traffic was all snarled up! These girls were wearing next to nothing! On my way back home from the store, I even witness one guy rear end another as he rubber necked. Priceless!

I rarely give money to any charity, much less those who stand in the middle of the street. I prefer to give of my time and skills - Habitat for Humanity and another local outfit that does handyman work for the elderly and disadvantaged. I get to meet exactly who I’m helping and see the results of my donation.

.......a charity that spends less than 10% on administration, I have a right to be picky.

Regards, Rod.
    Rod - and you have a right to be proud. Well done.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I've resorted to putting a "No Solicitors" sign on my front door, it's amazing how many people either don't understand what that means or don't care.

I prefer to donate my time/effort, I do a few charity bike rides a year one for the National MS society and one for the American Diabetes Association. These events have been great for me, you get to meet the people that you're trying to help, and you get to live outside of your world for a few days. (everybody at work knows that I do these events but i never ask co-workers to donate)I love the idea about Habitat for Humanity, I'm going to look into that.

People that show up at my door, call me on the phone, or get you at the register just piss me off.

A great way to help someone out and let the money help several people out: Kiva.org One of my friends gave $25 gift cards out to Kiva a few years ago(for christmas), it's a micro loan program for people mainly in 3rd world nations. they ask for a small loan, tell you what they need it for, and you pick who you give money to, it takes a while for them to pay it back but when they do you can loan the money to someone else. I love the concept. I'm on my 3rd micro loan, if it didn't get paid back i'd put some more money back into my account because it's just a great way to help someone help themselves.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Regards, Rod.
    My requirements are 5% for administrative costs. Maybe a little more if I know the charity.

Matt M. hit it right on the nose. If they don't state the administrative fees, I don't donate/give.

There was an adv. on TV a couple of days ago, asking for donations to help animals. They showed the abused animals, pulled on your heart strings, even modeled the adv. after the one the SPCA has been putting on TV lately with Sarah McLaughlin (sp?). It was clearly a scam, and no mention whatsoever of where the charity is located, or what their administrative costs are.

But I have never heard of these drive thru solicitations. And will never give to them.

I consider these to be worthwhile, and from my experience honest charities:

St. Jude's
    Red Cross
    National Cancer Society
    Local Hospital Foundations
    PBS TV and Radio
    Arts

9. Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    I'm worse than you scott....i am to the point where the mere thought of walking into wal-mart when they have the red kettle people out front ringing the bell makes me turn around and get back into my car. its my way of not supporting the store that would permit that to happen. i give away enough of my money to the government.

So sleep well knowing you are not the worst person out there.
    I am the opposite Tim. I avoid the places that don't allow the Salvation Army bell ringers, at least during the season.

One thing I didn't know, recently the Salvation Army began hiring people to be bell ringer, because there weren't enough people volunteering.

But I do drop a few dollars into each red kettle when I see one.

Hey, Gene Howe,

I am amazed at your post about Salvation Army giving out stuff VS the 'other well known organization' selling it to needy people.

I wanted to say the same thing, but held back, trying to be PC, but since you mention it........

I am a retired Los Angeles County fireman. Way back in the 60's and 70's we would be working brush fires way off the beaten path, on fire roads in the mountains or dirt roads in the flatlands, and the Salvation Army volunteers would drive their own cars into areas they shouldn't be in, bringing us sandwitches, drinks, etc. They would pull up, open the trunk and say help yourself, then go on to the next group of fire equipment.

The 'other' organization would set up a nice trailer in the base camp, where the people not working the fire were, and SELL stuff.

I will ALWAYS support Salvation Army generously.

Rick Potter

PS: Salvation Army doesn't do that any more, as things are a lot tighter now, about who can get near a fire. Times change.

When wildfires devastated south Georgia several years ago I had the opportunity to work side by side with the Salvation Army. Since then the SA is my second charity of choice. My first is a local man, I'm not sure if he is homeless, or not. I passed him day after day at an off ramp intersection and felt guilty for not giving. It seems there is someone on nearly every street corner these days and I'm not sure who is truly in need and who is running a scam. This one particular old fellow just got to me. I approached the intersection one day and it was pouring rain. There stood that fellow and I thought, "Who stands in the pouring rain to ask for money unless they really need it?". The next day I stopped and gave him some money. I went on my way and had lunch. As I was leaving the fast food place I saw this fellow walking back toward the woods carrying a grocery bag and bag of ice. Now when I pass him at the intersection I give him whatever I can, and I've seen him on many occasions headed home with his "groceries" after lunch. I'm trusting that the money I, and other people, give to him is going to a good cause. Other than these two charities, I just say no.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

For 25 years I have had money deducted from every paycheck into a company administered charity disbursement fund. Never feel guilty or otherwise turning down door solicitors etc
    Actually there is one solicitor I never turn down and that is when LOML is gearing up for her yearly breast cancer 3 day walk that she has been doing for 7 or 8 years

It is really sad how little some non-profit organizations get to keep! The local Girl Scout troops get to keep $0.45-$0.50 per box for most of the cookies according to what I've been told by a family member that was a troop leader for years. The Boy/Cub Scouts don't do much better with their yearly popcorn sales. I usually just donate $10 to the local troop so that it stays and benefits local people rather than some fancy national office or the bakery/producer of the product.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    When wildfires devastated south Georgia several years ago I had the opportunity to work side by side with the Salvation Army. Since then the SA is my second charity of choice. My first is a local man, I'm not sure if he is homeless, or not. I passed him day after day at an off ramp intersection and felt guilty for not giving. It seems there is someone on nearly every street corner these days and I'm not sure who is truly in need and who is running a scam. This one particular old fellow just got to me. I approached the intersection one day and it was pouring rain. There stood that fellow and I thought, "Who stands in the pouring rain to ask for money unless they really need it?". The next day I stopped and gave him some money. I went on my way and had lunch. As I was leaving the fast food place I saw this fellow walking back toward the woods carrying a grocery bag and bag of ice. Now when I pass him at the intersection I give him whatever I can, and I've seen him on many occasions headed home with his "groceries" after lunch. I'm trusting that the money I, and other people, give to him is going to a good cause. Other than these two charities, I just say no.
    Belinda, They did an expose on homeless people where I live, the people who are standing wanting money. There were some shocking discoveries. One man was a convicted sex offender. Another was telling people he was homeless, so the news agency followed him to his house. They asked another what he was going to do with the money that was give to him that day, and he responded that he was going to get some cigarettes and beer.

It wasn't long afterward, that the donations dried up, and the "homeless" people wasn't anywhere to be seen.

Not saying the same is true with your guy, but it makes one think.

Bill

Yes, yes you ARE a very bad person

Scott-

It's kind of like getting shot at- after a while, you get a little numb.

We get several calls every evening from some group collecting for something; both the Democrats and Republicans, phony police and military organizations, even folks who are supposedly collecting for the Cancer Society (not the American Cancer Society, but some other outfit trying to clone their collections). It's gotten to the point that some of these folks start arguing with you when you tell them "no". Like the jerk who was lecturing me about giving to this phony cancer research outfit, and I tell him that my wife is on her 6th chemo (for her Stage IV breast cancer, trying to buy some more time), and he says 'what's that?" If there was a "kill" button on the phone, I would have pushed it right then and there.

The point is, there are a lot of folks out there who will try anything for a buck.

Do you want a worthy cause? Try your local Rescue Mission. Give a sandwich and a sleeping bag to someone who's really living on the street. Contribute to your local food bank. There are plenty of folks out there in real need, and most of them don't have some fancy outfit fronting for them.
    Thus endeth my rant.