Thread: Table saw motor upgrade, vid added

Table saw motor upgrade, vid added

Well I scored a nice Baldor 1.5 hp motor today off of Craigs list. Its a fully enclosed type with some sort of brake on it. I've never dealt with the Baldor motors so I don't know if this is normal, but I would like to know what it's called if any one knows. It's not an electric brake like on a miter saw, it almost sounds pneumatic (but I know it's not)

So I put it on the TS and !! !! very nice, I know it's not a big jump from 1hp, but to go from a 1horse crapsman to a 1.5 Baldor it sure made a difference.

Here it is in action, oh and did I mention that I got it for a gloat worth 35 bucks? And the guy who sold it was a true gentleman, I look forward to crossing paths with him again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmx2LhK5aW8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Aaron Berk; 12-09-2009 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Added a video

WTG! Aaron! Do a Google search for "Baldor (your model number) and there is a good chance Baldor will have a page on it. You can find out everything you want to know about this motor and it's *brake*.

The 1.5hp Baldor should prove quite a jump in performance over the Sears 1hp motor. 50% more BUTT when ripping thick hardwood. IF you find the motor trips your 115V breaker when you crowd it, no doubt the Baldor can be rewired for 230V. I went this route with an old 1.5hp Rockwell CS and never looked back!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

No brake. The box contains the starting capacitors. The button is a thermal breaker, will trip if the motor gets hot. The cover on the back is for the cooling fan. Nice find!

John

Agree w/ John. I think no brake, but great motor.

hmm, no brake?

Well I want to believe the info here, but how do you explain the motor lurching in the video after shut down? I know the vid didn't have the best volume, but the motor noise changes right as it lurches and makes a very noticeable rpm drop.

I know very little about motors....but it could have something to do with a centrifugal switch cutting out pretty early in the spin-down process, thereby changing in effect the way the motor is wired/working....
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Well, here's what I "think". It could be some kind of a braking device known as dynamic brake. A capacitor (or two) discharge back into the windings to "brake" the motor once power is cut off. These are very common on large machines I have worked on in the past~usually a safety feature in the manufacturing arena. Maybe??

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    Well I want to believe the info here, but how do you explain the motor lurching in the video after shut down? I know the vid didn't have the best volume, but the motor noise changes right as it lurches and makes a very noticeable rpm drop.
    Others are right - the centrifugal switch changes positions and re-introduces the starting windings into the circuit. Since the slowdown occurs so quickly after you turn off the motor, and the blade takes as long as it does to spin up, i'm guessing that the blade/belt/motor require a decent amount of force to rotate as well. You may want to double check the alignment of the pulleys as well as reduce the tension on the belt a little bit.

Dito what everyone else has said and . . .

There is a centrifugal switch that flip engages/dissengages the starting windings. I imagine this same switch or something like it could be used as an electric brake. I have the same thing on my miter saw.
    Last edited by Glen Butler; 12-11-2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Cause I was wrong.

I'm very curious! What is the motor model number? As I mentioned earlier, a search at Baldor will give all the specs of this particular motor unless it is very ancient.

Not saying it doesn't happen, (with a specialized motor) But, I have never experienced an *energizing* of capacitors as a motor spins down. Only the *click-rub* of the centrifugal switch as it re-engages as RPMs diminish after power is cut.
    Last edited by Chip Lindley; 12-10-2009 at 10:55 PM.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Thumbs up A litle more info

I took off the capacitor cover and there are 2 of those in there, and the motor ID tag says it's a Baldor Industrial Motor, and the spec number is 35G329X136 I looked up the number but couldn't find any results. I'll double check the number tomorrow if I have time and start searching again.

I've had my table saw up on Craigs list and thought this motor upgrade would make a better sell, but I'm really starting to get fond of this motor.

I'll take the advice on belt tension and pulley alignment. I'll go over those as soon as I can. I'm sure the tension is way to much as this motor is twice the weight of the old one. It came with a double pulley and I wonder if I can fit a double pulley on my craftsman? Has any one installed double pulleys on a 113. series craftsman contractor before? I'm not shy about cutting apart the sheet steel base and making my own if I needed to.

Thanks for all the input thus far, Creekers rule

I watched the video again. In it you said it is not an electric brake. How do you know? Looks like one to me.
    Last edited by Glen Butler; 12-11-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Veatch View Post
    Since the c-switch closes as the rpm decreases, and remains closed when the motor stops, wouldn't any charge built up in the capacitor be discharged through the motor windings when the motor stops?
    A diode could prevent that from happening, if said diode were installed, but none of this is the case, because what I was taught is different from the way things really are. You need to watch out what you learned from your dad while growing up.

I edited previous post to reflect such, so as to not be questioned but alas, you had already quoted my incorrect statement.