Thread: Shop Heat Question for dry climates

Shop Heat Question for dry climates

Hi All,

I working on getting my shop set up in Denver (new house, don't get me started on the travesty that is the garage wiring)

For anyone who lives in a similar dry climate, is condensation an issue for you when you turn on the heat? Ideally I would like to put in an electric heater that I would only run when I'm out there, but I'm worried about condensation on tools and cast iron tables.

(Shop I grew up in in GA had full time heat/AC)

Thanks!

Well, WI is certainly dry in the winter, and yes, condensation will be an issue. That said, keep the stuff covered as car exhaust, even you exhaling will introduce moisture that will condense on the cast iron, so keep it covered and maintained.

Blog Entries
    Here's a simple test. Take a glass half filled with cold water to your unheated shop and set it on a table. Put in three ice cubes and then turn on your heat. If condensation forms on the glass it will surely form on your cold cast iron and other metal.

You might be able to keep the shop heated to say 45 or 50 to keep your costs low and avoid the condensation problems with the cold metal.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Bob,

I'm in Denver as well, and have never had an issue. Previously I lived in Longmont and my "shop" was a garage shared with the cars (when they would fit!), and I never had a problem. Currently, I'm setting up a seperate room in a large garage for a shop with a radiant tube heater and I haven't noticed anything yet. The humidity out here is often in the single digits in the winter, so I don't think you will need to worry much.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Here's a simple test. Take a glass half filled with cold water to your unheated shop and set it on a table. Put in three ice cubes and then turn on your heat. If condensation forms on the glass it will surely form on your cold cast iron and other metal.
    That makes no sense. At low temperatures there can be less absolute water in the air, and as the temperature rises there can be more water in the air.

Suppose you start with a cold shop, at some relative humidity such that moisture is not currently condensing on surfaces. As you raise the temperature in the shop, the relative humidity will drop, making it *less* likely that water will condense.

The problem scenario is that you raise the temperature, then raise the humidity as well (humidifier, letting in warm humid air from the house, etc.), and then let the temperature drop. As the temperature drops the relative humidity increases, and as surfaces drop below the dew point, the excess water will condense on them.

Bob, I saw a lot of condensation when I used a kerosene heater. I don’t see any condensation with my vented natural gas heater.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    That makes no sense. At low temperatures there can be less absolute water in the air, and as the temperature rises there can be more water in the air.
    Sure it does, if there is enough moisture in the air to condense on the cold glass surface, it surely will on a cold cast iron surface.......If he sees no moisture then he will probably not have a rusting problem heating his shop part time.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks for the replies everyone. I may try the glass of water trick once I get finished with the electrical work.