Thread: any experiences with Toymaker’s Finish by General Finishes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

any experiences with Toymaker’s Finish by General Finishes

Need to finnish a toy I made for a friends kids birthday, its made of birch ply, white oak, walnut and pine. Was thinking of using the Toymaker’s Finish by General Finishes. Just wondering if anyone here had any experience with this finish, or a suggestion of something else kid safe.

thanks,
    chris

Almost all finishes are safe for kids and or food once they have dried and cured. Maunufactures make specail labels and call if food safe or child safe to make more money. Many of the salad bowl finishes share the MSDS sheet with another product that is not labelled food/child safe.

The dangerous finishes are the ones that had LEAD as the metal drier. Not used in the USA since about 1978. China, I hear, is still using it.
    Last edited by Scott Holmes; 12-10-2009 at 11:47 AM.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Scott Holmes View Post
    Almost all finishes are safe for kids and or food once they have dried and cured.
    No "almost" about it. All of them currently marketed should quality once fully cured. (Which can be in the neighborhood of a month for most finishes)

I happen to like shellac for this kind of thing, however...after all, they put it on candy to keep your hands from getting messed up and on medications (pills) in some cases, too. What could be safer than bug poop? LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used ALMOST because of the China - "Lead paint" news.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.