Thread: Shop Made Base Cabinet for Spindle Sander

Shop Made Base Cabinet for Spindle Sander

To all fellow Woodnics, I have a Jet bench top spindle sander and am considering building a dedicated mobile base so that I can finally get the thing at a comfortable working height. So, I am interested in knowing what designs you have come up with. A wise man (Dad) told me once it's better to work smart and hard than just hard. With that in mind I would like to see what the best of the best have designed. AL RIGHT ENOUGH BUTT KISSING - I just don't want to have to build this thing twice because I didn't consider some design element that would make the unit much more user friendly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I made this one from a set of Woodsmith plans. One sheet of plywood, pocket screws and some double-locking swivel casters. I made it so the height of the spindle sander's table is the same as my tablesaw and workbench (in case I need support for longer workpieces).

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...3&postcount=10

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Mastropietro View Post
    To all fellow Woodnics, I have a Jet bench top spindle sander and am considering building a dedicated mobile base so that I can finally get the thing at a comfortable working height. So, I am interested in knowing what designs you have come up with. A wise man (Dad) told me once it's better to work smart and hard than just hard. With that in mind I would like to see what the best of the best have designed. AL RIGHT ENOUGH BUTT KISSING - I just don't want to have to build this thing twice because I didn't consider some design element that would make the unit much more user friendly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a picture right now but since storage is always an issue in my shop I built a base with two drawers, each having a sliding tray on top for small parts, where I store my hinge and drawer slide parts/jigs. Underneath that is an open area for wood cutoffs.

Here's my sander stand (excuse the shavings ).

It sits on casters, so it is easy to push around where I need it. It also has screw down leveler feet visible on the sides -- I can easily screw them down to make it more stable and not roll (off the casters) if I need it, though I never really need them. I have four drawers below it for the wrenches, inserts, drums and sleeves, etc., as well as paper for my orbital sanders. (The top handle is fixed, just to help move it around.) The drawers are on full extension slides. It usually sits in the corner near my bandsaw, which is where I use it most. It's definitely one of my favorite tools.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My little stand

I just finished (well...almost finished) my stand for a Jet OSS. At one time, I was considering a flip top stand that would store two tools. However, I never got a good response from anyone (including JET) if I the OSS can be stored upside down with its oil filled transmission. So, I scrapped that idea.

Below is a CAD drawing of my new stand. After I made it, I realized that the double locking casters in the front were not enough to keep the stand from sliding on my smooth concrete floor. So, I added a cam driven foot on the back of the unit. It works really well.

The drawer will hold the wrenches and the optional 3" drum and throat plate. Perhaps it will hold some sleeves too. The lower cabinet will store non-OSS related stuff because my shop space is at a premium. The actual unit also has an electric cord reel to store the cord when mobile.

The last thing I need to do is to add some dust collection. A 2 1/2" hose will serve the built-in port, and a 2 1/2" form-able hose from Rockler will serve above the table behind the drum. Both ducts will be fed by a 4" duct. It looks like I also need to make a small (removable) plate under the machine's table in front of the spindle to block off the opening as to improve dust capture.

Here's some renderings...

-Jeff

Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.