Thread: evapo-rust??

evapo-rust??

Good day, I need to clean a saw plate and bought some evapo-rust, on the bottle, it said that it need(the rusted item) to be submerged in the solution, since I don't have a container big anought for the saw plate to be submerged, can I only spray it on and scrub? Or it would be a waist of time and solution? What do you do and what do you use?
    Thank you

Try putting it on a garbage bag, then spray it and cover with another bag. It is a chemical reaction and no scrubbing is needed. Just keep it wet with the evaporust. It truly is some great stuff.
    Last edited by Roger Newby; 12-10-2009 at 6:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Great idea, thank you!

David, you can also make a shallow container to hold the saw plate, line it with a plastic bag and submerge the plate in the bag. The container will hold the shape and give you guaranteed coverage.

3/4 plywood an inch or so larger than the saw plate would be more than adequate. No top necessary.

I've made such a container for a couple of # 7 planes, saw plates and a Stanley miter box.

Best regards, Tom
    Chapel Hills Turning Studio
    Douglasville, GA

Hoosier by birth, Georgian by choice!

Have blanks, will trade.

David, I have never tried spraying it on, but my guess is that you are going to get a really spotty result. I think submersion is the key to a clean job, and I would encourage you to try Tom's idea. One problem in not submerging the article is that flash rust occurs quickly when exposed to any air. The article needs to be removed and rinsed quickly, then wiped with oil, WD40 or some other inhibitant.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a saw plate??

Thank you very much that is great ideas, i will make a shallow container and line it with poly!

The blade, some people call it a plate!?!

Just a side note, on evapo-rust, the cheapest place I have found it is HF $20 a gallon.
    -Dan

Greetings;

I've wrapped my drill press column in place with cheesecloth, and kept it moist for an hour by dabbing with a brush every ten minute or so. Unwrapped and wiped down with a green pad, great shape. I tried brushing it on the table and scrubbing after a few minutes, and then immediately. It all depends how much elbow grease you enjoy.

I love Evapo-rust and appreciate that it does bores and threads as well. I'd love to buy 55gallon drums of this stuff!!! The military has 3000 gallon tanks for equipment dunking too.

Quote Originally Posted by David Gendron View Post
    Good day, I need to clean a saw plate and bought some evapo-rust, on the bottle, it said that it need(the rusted
    snippage
    What do you do and what do you use?
    Thank you

You can also get evapo-rust in a concentrate form, enough to make 5 gallons of solution. That is a much more inexpensive way to have it shipped to you. I purchased the concentrate solution at http://www.nebraskanhotrod.com/. I have used evapo-rust by wetting a scotch scrubbing pad and applying vigorous elbow grease. That works, but the best way is to do as others have suggested, fashion a container with a plastic bag and submerge the saw plate.