Thread: Impulse buy Freud Pro Dado

Impulse buy Freud Pro Dado

I know there are a lot a threads about dado sets but some things still have questions about:

I have been thinking about getting a dado set recently, so while at woodcraft today the salesman showed me one. It was cheaper than I expected one would be so I bought it. Usually I do not impulse buy like this, and I figured once I got home and talked to all of you, you would steer me differently. I read the recent poll, which did not have any mention of the Freud Pro Dado. So I am thinking I will take the set back.

How many teeth are good to have on a dado set? Do 4 tooth chippers offer a considerable advantage? Are there any pros and cons with 6" vs. 8"?
    Last edited by Glen Butler; 12-10-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Hi Glen, the 6" dado will have a smaller cut height than the 8", and will have a lower tip speed.

The 6" dado is better for a low power table saw, although the 8" will work fine with slow feed rates.

I personally would buy the 8".

For smoother cuts, more teeth on the blades is desirable, however I wouldn't worry too much about the chippers, as you feed wood slowly when using a dado cutter.

I suggest that you check with a local industrial saw supplier (I use FS Tools), as they have better products, at favourable prices compared to retail stores.

Regards, Rod.

I run the 6" Pro Set on my TS and have yet to have any type of issue with it. Sure there are better sets out there but there are also a lot of sets that aren't as good also.

I started a poll that I think you refer to. I already have a lower priced dado blade and wanted one that would work well with veneer plywood and give a flat bottom cut so I went with the higher tooth count options. By many accounts the Freud Super Dado, Dial-A-Width Dado and Forrest Dado King all provide similar results and are significantly better than the other designs that have fewer teeth. I also heard that the more expensive models will stay sharper longer (more teeth, makes sense).

I can only speak to the Super Dado that I just bought. I tried it out and got excellent results. So far I only tried it with some Pine and Maple and the cuts were excellent.
    Gary

I think I will return the Pro Dado and get the Super Dado. Looks like it will be a much better product. I would get the dado king but just cannot justify the extra 100 dollars.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Freud Pro Dado. It repeatably wins "Best Value" in magazine dado tests. It cuts clean, flat bottomed dados.

A higher tooth count dado will give slightly cleaner cuts in problem material like cross cutting oak veneered plywood or melamine coated composition materials.

For a lower priced dado, the Freud Pro is an excellent choice unless you want to spend considerably more.
    Howie.........

I have never used the Pro set but I have a Super 8" set that I have used a few times. It maazing me ho well it cuts. I jsut got a deal on a Dial a width set so I need to post my Super 8 in the sale section.

I have the pro dado set. Bought it from Lowe's when it went on clearance down to 80 bucks. I believe it's now down to 75 bucks in my area. This is the second dado set I've owned and I was stunned by how clean and flat the cuts are. In fact, if Santa were to bring me a few gift cards this year, I'm going to go buy another one while it's still on clearance. I was considering the Super Dado before I bought as well. Now I'm glad I bought the pro dado because I'm EXTREMELY satisfied with it.