Thread: Washer dryer platform

Washer dryer platform

I'm getting a new front loading washer and dryer for our house, and will NOT spring $300 for pedestals!

I'm not going to make drawers - just risers. I'm planning to use 2x8's for the frame, and to use 1x stock and matching molding.

Anyone have alternate ideas or design considerations?

Specifically, what might I use as 'feet' to deaden the vibration...?

Thanks in advance,
    shawn

[QUOTE=Shawn Patel;1280557]I'm getting a new front loading washer and dryer for our house, and will NOT spring $300 for pedestals! [QUOTE]

What's the floor like in your laundry? Do you have tile, laminate, wood?

We have laminate and our floor has a little bit of flex to it so we get occassional vibration and have to relevel the units about once a year. Seems to be the tile floors with the subfloor and backer board provides more stability.

Ive seen rubber mats on a platform in my neighbors house. MInes on a tile floor and there is no shake. Kenmore elites.

To prevent the appliance from walking off the platform, you might put a lip around the top, or put recesses for the appliance's feet to sit in.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Anyone have alternate ideas or design considerations?
    My plan, for a strikingly similar story, was to use 3/4" plywood and make something that looks something like a pallet. (We'll pretend 2'x2' is a perfect size for 1 appliance.)

Cut two pieces of ply to 2'x2', for a top and bottom. Cut a 3/4" rabbet on the sides and backs of both the top and bottom and a 3/4" dado down the center, front to back.

Pick your desired height, say 7", and cut some 2'x7" pieces for your rabbets and dados. Apply glue, clamp or nail/screw, and you're done. Should outlast your washer and dryer and you could use the voids in the center for storage. Either build drawers or with some baskets. SWMBOs tend to like baskets. Mine certainly does.

-Matt

Matt-
    Color me dense, but can you send me a photo?
    - shawn

Here's the I built a couple of years ago. It's made out of just melamine. There's three ribs inside that are running from front to back. Screw together with pocket screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Patel View Post
    Matt-
    Color me dense, but can you send me a photo?
    - shawn
    Not a photo, we just got the washer and dryer and I haven't had time to build them yet. I'll whip up an exploded drawing when I get home.

-Matt

Shawn

I have store bought pedestals on our washer and dryer. They actual bolt together to keep them from shaking off the pedestals. Check under your washer and dryer you will see the mounting holes.

I built a pedestal very similar to the one Russ made. It was 3/4" melamine that was pocket screwed together with 2x4 stringers across the bottom, I put 6 adjustable feet on mine, and edgebanded the exposed ends. Once the pedestal was leveled I leveled the machines and they never moved. It works great, and saved 600 on the prefab ones.

melamine? Really?

Just did one for my new set up. Plywood box, basically. Got pretty little baskets under for the LOML too. Works just fine neither have moved noticeably.