Thread: Jointer Fence Problem

Jointer Fence Problem

I have a problem with the fence on my Rockwell 37-315 Jointer that I haven't seen in other threads: it won't remain locked in a position 90 degrees to the table for more than one pass through the jointer. In fact even when it is "locked" in place, it still can be moved. It is almost like I could make micro-adjustments, but then again that would be pointless because these wouldn't stay in the same position.
    I have disassembled the entire handle assembly and I don't see any obvious problems, nor do I see anything in the fence assembly that could be tightened or adjusted.
    Any suggestions?

Blog Entries
    If you mean 90* vertical to the table and the setting is changing, I wouldn't use the jointer till I got this corrected. Your material is somewhat uncontrolled if this setting won't cinch down. If you mean 90* perpendicular to the cutterhead, the carriage lock is not doing it's job. Is this a cam lock or a pinion geared affair?

Oh, OK, I found it here: http://www.mikestools.com/download/D...X-3690-J3A.pdf

You have a cam adjustment for the carriage, just like my Grizzly G0490X. The nut labeled as number 54 in the exploded pic can be adjusted when the cam is in the loose position so that it tightens correctly when you rotate the lever to one of the locked positions. If it is vertical adjustment that is slipping, I would suspect that the clamp stud (part # 27) or an adjacent surface is worn. Perhaps a washer as a spacer would give it the additional t5ravel required to achieve torque(?).
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-11-2009 at 5:44 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Love it! Glad to get a chance to give back.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Jointer Fence Problem

Glenn,

Thanks for the response and the suggestion to add shims. In looking at the upper wedge it was obvious that it was well worn so I cut and installed several shims on both ends (one of the advantages of having a sheet metal shop). However this did not stop the fence from moving when it was in a locked position.
    I then removed the lower wedge but it showed only minor wear. I figured that I had nothing to lose so I installed a shim on both of its ends.
    I reassembled everything and the shims on the lower wedge seem to have done the trick.

Bill