Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Sawstop PCS

New Sawstop PCS

Well, I finally took the plunge and picked up a new Sawstop PCS. 52" rails, and the integrated mobile base. I ended up just having them put it on my utility trailer, and I managed to pull the pallet into my garage by myself.

I have to give a thumbs up to Zach Burns at Burns Tools in Fall River MA. A place closer to me wanted to hit me up for $350 in added shipping (to get it to them - not even to my door) before they would even order it from SS. Burns Tools had it in stock, and tacked on no added shipping.

We did have a small hiccup....they forgot to give me the box with the mobile base in it. OOPS. I was rolling things over in my mind on the way home, and this dawned on me. I was only 20 minutes out, so I turned around and Zach gave me a $20 gift card and a few other small items for my trouble. unnecessary, but a nice touch. It's actually closer than I expected (about 35 mins), so I expect to be going back there often.

I moved all the 'accessory' pieces into my basement, and a friend is coming down tomorrow to help me move it. I will probably end up taking the top off, but we'll give it a try with the top on to see if it's workable.

and I know the rule, so here's a pic of the box in my garage. will post more pics when it's set up....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Congrats... you're gonna love your new saw.

Assembly instructions are awesome, so you can actually look forward to putting it together!!!

Andy

Congrats!! Take her slow and easy going down the stairs. Don't need anyone hurt in the process. Look forward to pictures when you get it all set up and working! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Congrats!! Awesome saw. Merry Christmas!!

Is there wood inside the PCS box/packaging? I was just noticing a change in the crate/box from my "ICS" from 2006. I kinda liked that it was shipped in a bullet proof wooden crate after paying $375 for shipping.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Is there wood inside the PCS box/packaging?
    Mike - there was no wood *inside* the box. There were some pretty sturdy cardboard corner "posts" up the inside that protected the corners. The entire thing was secured to a wooden pallet, which made it pretty easy to move. It seemed to me they put a lot of thought into the packing to protect it.

The one nit I have is that the very bottom of the cabinet - the part that would actually sit on the ground - looks like it actually was on the ground and got scraped or 'walked' across a concrete floor. I don't know if that's normal or not. It effects absolutely nothing, so I'm not going to worry about it.

John,

If you take the wings out of the box and leave the saw in it, you should be able to move the saw into the basment in the box. It really isn't that heavy. You're gonna love that saw it is really nice. Plenty of power eveything works slick, and the dust collection is awesome. The fence is a little fineky to get set right but that was is. Have your friend stay around if possible to help put the wings on that will save you sometime. Good Luck

If your stairs are wood, and the basic ladder type,I'd strongly suggest adding some reinforcement to the center area of the steps. I refer to the steps made from notched 2"X8"'s on each side.

The stairs are 2x10's, inserted into metal risers that are secured to the concrete. Never though of them being a problem, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Paul R. - good tip. I'll have to measure it and the door to see if it looks possible.

Congratulations on the new saw. The PCS looks like a beauty.

I've seen several people mention a shipping charge that some Sawstop dealers are quoting/charging to buyers. I believe that the issue here is a minimum order requirement from Sawstop. If the dealer places a large enough order to Sawstop, they get the equipment shipped to them free - and of course don't (or at least shouldn't) charge their customer for shipping. If the dealer only orders Sawstop equipment as it's sold (one or two at a time), then they have to pay shipping to Sawstop and are likely to charge the customer buying the saw.

-Mike

Mine was only the third 5hp sawstop to be ordered at the Woodcraft I bought it from. I am pretty sure they had two 3hp saws in stock and at the time they were charging shipping on those as well. Figured I would get what I wanted. That Woodcraft store has since closed. They were nice while they lasted. Shipping AND tax is something I try and not pay both on (right or wrong or indifferent).

The shipping I paid was to the store and I still drove 40 minutes on way to get it. It was $225 more to get it shipped to my house.

Anyone get free shipping on a sawstop from a dealer?
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

congratulations on the new saw!
    Just be careful not to activate the brake by hitting the riving knife

Congrats on the new saw John.

I bought an ICS about 1 1/2 years ago. My dealer did not charge me the standard Saw Stop shipping charge although I think they were supposed to. My dealer did deliver it to my house that was about 45 miles away on their truck with a lift gate for no extra charge. They just backed the truck up to the concrete in the barn, lowered the saw and rolled it in. I bought it from an industrial supply house that supplies a lot of tools and supplies to businesses in the area (a lot of them are amish cabinet builders). They have there own truck and have normal delivery routes.

Well, it's in. A friend helped me carry it into the basement on Sunday, and that actually went very smoothly. I did not have to take the top off. I spent a little time Sunday putting the wings, mobile base, etc on, then have been trying to get a little time every night for the rails/fence and table. I still have a lot of adjusting to do, but it's getting there.

I did have one small issue with the table - let me start by saying I really don't like it, but maybe it'll grow on me. It has this plasticy 'ribbed' coating on it - almost feels like the surface of an old vinyl record. There are a few places, especially on the edges and corners, where it isn't quite right. The edges are covered and don't bother me, but there is one spot on the surface near a corner, about 1/4" diameter, where it's bubbled up. I mught just knock it down with a chisel...haven't decided. I can easily see that this textured surface will get beat up after a few pieces run over it, but time will tell.

I was pretty impressed with the fit/finish and the assembly instructions. As has been pointed out - good instructions, well packaged and identified parts, and everything lined up.

Here's a pic of it assembled but not still fully aligned. Need to work more on that tonight. I also need to run a 220v line for it and replace the cord with a longer one.
    Attached Images Attached Images