Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Walnut and Curly Maple Table - DONE!!

Great project John. Really like the legs and the creativity you show with the lower shelf.

2. Very, very nice, looks better every-time I review the photos. Your mastery of design created a wonderful piece. The top edge treatment, tapered octagonal turned legs, half blind drawer fronts, turned pulls, unique stretcher shelf, material choice and finish are beautifully executed to a well proportioned whole.

That is one beautiful table.Love the rich look of the walnut contrasting
    with the light color & stunning figure of the maple. Excellent design as
    well!!!

Thanks for looking, and for sharing your thoughts. I have seen the fine work by many of you that have commented, and that makes your comments all the more humbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kountz View Post
    Can you tell us how you came about this particular design? It really works well.
    Jim, I'm not sure?!? Over the years we have been together, my wife and I have acquired many antiques (not valuable, mostly just Victorian items) that we rebuilt and refinished. There is no room for additional furniture, and as I build pieces, they are replacements for existing furniture. The dimensions and general purpose of this table were dictated by the one it is replacing-
    2009_12130001.jpg
    And, the existing table has the suspended shelf brackets, with a center section - all oak with no contour.

The style of the legs and choice of woods are elements on the walnut hutch/secretary, built earlier in the year, that sits to the rear of this table.

BTW, the set of "human legs" visible in the pic belong to our "workshop" Santa -
    SANTA 1.jpgSANTA 2.jpg
    I did Santa several years ago. He has a wood frame (2x2) and the head is sculpted clay with glass eyes and combed wool for hair and beard. That project went on for about 5 years - applying the "hair" was mind numbing, and the interest waned! But, he was finally brought to life!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    What is the finish? Jim
    Jim, and others, the finish schedule was BLO on everything (I kind of like the amber cast on the CM), then a couple of coats of blonde dewaxed shellac, rubbed out, finished with 2-3 coats of Arm-R-Seal. The top has some grain that is just not cooperating with the finish, and it may require another coat.

Thanks again, for looking, and for the supportive comments.

That is a beautiful piece, John! Nicely done.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

That's truly exceptional, John! I hope to have that level of skill (and time) someday!

Great piece J.K.! The contrast is appealing.. well proportioned legs (this southern boy loves well proportioned legs ).. excellent job on those DT's and the bottom shelf adds the final huh-rah to the other components. And... the top coat is fitting for a diplomatic dinner at the White House.

Outstanding....
    Sarge..

Woodworkers' Guild of Georgia
    Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler

Amazing!! Very high quality craftsmanship!

9. Beautiful work. Inspiring for us wood butchers.

That is a beautiful table. I have had to come back and look at it several times.

Blog Entries
    Excellent work John!!! And, I think I know right where you put it....
    Looks like you've been doing your homework on that one.... wow!!!

Gary did a great job getting your likeness in that medallion!!!

That is a really handsome table John. Your woodworking skills and tastes are exceptional.

How long have you been woodworking?....
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks, again guys for taking the time to look at this - even if it is the second time around. I debated on posting the finished piece since I posted the preview thread a couple of weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sallee View Post
    Gary did a great job getting your likeness in that medallion!!!
    Ed, that is too funny!! At least ol' Abe had color in his beard!!

Bruce, I have been doing woodworking on some level for 45 years, including building longrifles for many years. I have done several furniture pieces, but in the last couple of years I have tried to challenge myself to learn new techniques and to develop design skills. I have never worked from a plan, and I have enjoyed that freedom. SMC has been a tremendous resource, and viewing the many projects by the wonderful craftsmen here on the creek has been very helpful.

Great looking table john.The curly maple really brings the table alive.I also like the long straight lines on the walnut top.I thought the piece is a good expression of your originality.

Beautiful John!!

The lower shelf is really sharp, great joinery and superb finish.......nice!