Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Walnut and Curly Maple Table - DONE!!

love it, just curious as to the finish used.

hs
    You name it , I'll butcher it

Thanks, Hout! The finish schedule was BLO on everything, then a couple of coats of blonde dewaxed shellac, rubbed out. Then 2-3 coats of Arm-R-Seal, except for the top, which got a couple of extra thin coats.

That's really beautiful!!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

John...Could you go into a little detail on how you made those legs. I understand the turning process, but did you use a band saw to get the flat surfaces.

Jim, thanks for stopping by to take a look, and for your comment!

Johnny, I first did a paper template and determined the extent of the taper that I wanted. I played with the template a bit to get to the point where I was satisfied with the look. This is where I ended up.

Then, the two spooled areas on the legs were turned while the stock was square.

At that point, I had established the beginning and ending points of the tapers. The "reveal" between the turned part and the square stock on the top spool was duplicated on the bottom by using a drawknife, spokeshave, and handplanes. Hope this makes sense!

With the reveal established, the tapers had to work so long as they were FLAT. I used a small metal ruler to establish the flatness as I worked them down. It went faster than one would think. I did the four sides first, then brought the other facets down. I cut a couple of clamp blocks on the bandsaw with a 90* notch so I could clamp the corners leaving one corner exposed for working it.

Beautiful table and excellent use of contrasting timbers. I have a question about the brand/medallion/mark that uses a penny in the center. Is that a branding iron with heat activation or a rubber stamp with ink. I would love to utilize something similar to mark my own work. Thanks and thanks for the tutorial.

Mike, the medallions were laser engraved by George M. Perzel. George is an SMC contributor and frequents the Engravers forum. He does business as LaserArts. The medallion itself fits nicely into a hole drilled with a 1.5" Forstner bit, and has the recess for the penny lasered.

Gary Zimmel, also an SMC contributor, had some of these done and was kind enough to have a few of them done for me. Thanks, again, Gary!!

very nice, the contrast works really well. i like the flat profiles on the legs too.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Thanks, again guys for taking the time to look at this - even if it is the second time around. I debated on posting the finished piece since I posted the preview thread a couple of weeks ago.
    I am glad you posted. What a beauty. I think things partially shown or previously posted as a response in other threads deserve their own post or a re-post depending on what is being talked about. I say, post away. I don't recall anyone here saying something shouldn't be re-discussed or shown now completed. Looks great.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler