Thread: Spray Gun Cleaner

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.

Spray Gun Cleaner

I just noticed on Harbor Freight's website a gun cleaner for $99. It supposed to clean the gun in about a minute. I shoot mostly nitro lacquer and pre-cat lacquer and usually clean up with lacquer thinner. The instruction manual for the gun cleaner states to not use anything flamable. I can read the internet and get lost in different products, but what I want is someone here with actual experience with a gun cleaning machine and non-flamable cleaner.
    I attached a link to the spray gun cleaner. Basically, all this cleaner does is clean the parts and runs solvent through the gun for you. Recently I have been working for 2 decorators that use pigmented lacquer on everything. I strip the antiques and paint (colored pre-cat lacquer) them various colors. Later on this coming week I will be spraying at least 15 pieces of furniture 6 different colors. I went to HF and bought 3 cheap guns ($20 each on sale) to suppliment my existing 3 guns. This way, I can spray almost continuously with one color per gun without having to clean the guns other than a quick shot of lac thinner through them. Then only have to clean the guns good only once a day. With the gun cleaner, I can have my helper or the LOML clean the guns for me. I clean my guns all of the time but cleaning them from pigmented lacquer is neither fun nor fast. I spray something almost every day and this would be a good time saver. .......I think.

I shutter the thought of clear coating an expensive piece of furniture and having a short spit of color hit the surface.
    I want to use lac thinner or acetone. The manual for the cleaning unit says only use non-flamable solvents. I was just thinking that they may say that just as a disclaimer in case of fire.

http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/94000-94999/94996.pdf

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Tony Bilello; 12-13-2009 at 8:50 PM.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville

Tony, I'd save my money and do what you do. If you spray mostly lacquer, you're in fine shape. Many times while spraying different colors of lacquer, I just wipe the siphon tube and run a little lacquer thinner through the gun and change cups. Depending on how much you spray, you can break your guns down once a week and thoroughly clean them. Sounds as if the machine runs a continuous cleaner through the gun, but it doesn't scrub them down. Just my thoughts.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Tony,
    Set-up and Operation

1. Tighten the Basin Lid located on the Basin. See photo on top of page 5.

2. Add 2.5 gallons of organic, nonflammable cleaning fluid into the Tank.

I would image that the unit is not explosion proof and the pumps and switches are not isolated to prevent fire or explosion when using a flammable solvent.

The Little Tennessee River near Knoxville.
    I called Tech Support this morning. The key factor is the pump. It is not able to withstand solvents such as lacquer thinner and acetone. So........thsi is a no go.
    Retired, living and cruising full-time on my boat.
    Currently on the Little Tennessee River near Knoxville