Thread: Dust hood for old Powermatic 100

Dust hood for old Powermatic 100

I recently acquired an old Powermatic model 100 12 inch planer and would like to add a dust collection hood to it. Has anybody here fabricated one or found a usable off the shelf one for this planer? Open to any suggestions or links to info about this. Thanks,
    Michael

Greetings from NC!
    Michael,
    I had a local HVAC shop fabricate a dust hood from sheet metal based on a design I mocked up from aluminum siding coil stock. The sides of my hood slip around the allen head studs that pivot the chip breaker. I then drilled and tapped a hole for attaching the dust hood to the chip breaker. My one concern was the weight of my dust hood counter-acting the weight of the chip breaker. I solved the weight differential problem by installing springs from the dust hood to the body of the planer. I attached studs to the cutterhead bearing screw holes and welded a loop to the dust hood. The studs are tapped for allen screws to hold the ends of the springs.

Here's some photos....

Aluminum mock up...

Prior to powder coating...

After final installation...

Respectfully,
    Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC

Thanks Tom for the excellent pictures ! Great looking job on the dust hood and the machine. I plan on repainting mine but I doubt it will look that good. What size hose connection did you go with? Thanks again for the info and pictures.

Michael Church

Michael,
    My shop is served by an Oneida 3HP pro model and I try to maintain the largest diameter hose to each machine. The PM 100 uses approxiametly 36 inches of 5 inch flex and is virtually chip free when planing. If you have any questions about your restoration or setup shoot me some PM's - I'll be glad to help any way I can.

Regards,
    Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC

Tom, can I ask, ballpark what they charged to do that? I faxed a dimensioned drawing of the Parks planer dust hood to 2 local HVAC places and got quotes in the $300+ range. I don't know if that's a reasonable price or not, but I was surprised!

Matt,
    My local guy did the work for $100. He also said I saved myself an additional $100 by having the mockup for him to use as a template.

Regards,
    Tom Wassack
    Asheboro, NC

Hmm...I'll have to shop around a little more. They should be pretty hungry around here so maybe I'll do a mockup once I get the machine reassembled and stop by to see them.

I built one out of lexan. I cut little pieces to fill in all the gaps and steps so it fit very nicely on the chip breaker. All the pieces were glued together. Then I used a floor sweep on top for a hose connection. The entire assembly go sanded smooth and finished with black spray paint. Worked great and looked like a million bucks.

DC Hood for Powermatic 100 Planer

I took a different approach recently. Starting with a Rockler general purpose hood, I mated it to the planer with aluminum tracks. The tracks were attached with flat head screws after drilling and tapping the cast iron. The hood slides up and down in the tracks to adjust for height (thickness of boards). The tracks also allow for a thin filler to close the top gap.

I wish I could say it works well, but I haven't even given it its first trial yet. The attached photos explain the construction. I will replace the cardboard test filler with something more serviceable after testing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wanted to follow up on this thread and ask for advice. I have a powermatic 100 up and running. It makes lots of sawdust very quickly. I would like to mount a dust collection hood on it. There are some suggestions in this old thread. Because it is a 12" planer, I thought I might be able to adapt on of the very common dust collection hoods from the lunchbox planers. The exit I am trying to cover is about 13.5" by about 5", and I would like to adapt it to a 4" dust collector hose. Does anyone have suggestions about which commercially available dust hoods might be fitted to this machine? I could make one from scratch, but it would probably be more work.

Thank you for considering the problem.

Scott

Look at a 4 X 12 register boot from a "REAL" HVAC supply house. You would need a 4 X 6 reducer to go with it.