Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router table for Grizzly G0690

Router table for Grizzly G0690

Can anyone recommend one that they know will fit? The Bench Dog ProMax doesn't--the Griz's table is too thick for it, and the fence rail's mounting holes don't align.

I have a G0691 and if I felt that it needed a router table extension - I'd built my own out of doubled up 3/4 MDF and cover with laminate.

Also, I believe Woodpeckers will make you one to any dimension you like. http://www.woodpeck.com/rtcustom.html
    Stan

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
    Can anyone recommend one that they know will fit? The Bench Dog ProMax doesn't--the Griz's table is too thick for it, and the fence rail's mounting holes don't align.

Read this it's how I did Mine http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=127083

JEFF

If you want a metal type instead of making your own, try http://www.qualitygrinding.com/ I know Keith Outten has one. And they have given at least one away here on the drawing giveaways. Tell them the size of your plate, and the dimensions for the table you want to mate against, and they can build it.
    Now, If the Grizzly table saw wing has a rounded corner, and I seem to remember it does, trying to match that might be tough. You might have to have a square corner against a round one. Other than that, I'm not sure why the Bench Dog one wouldn't work. So they are different thicknesses. No biggie. The rails should cover up the joint and therefore hide the difference. Holes don't match? Drill new ones. Choose the rail or the router table top to drill, your choice.
    Personally, I'd build my own. Let the top hang over the framework a little on the side that meets the Griz extension. Cut and sand to fit the rounded edge. Once you're happy with that, laminate the top, paint the sides, mount it and have fun. My humble opinion. Your's may differ. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Grizzly makes one for the G1023. Not sure if it fits the newer cabinet saws.

Jason

I appreciate that of lot of people like to build their own, or have a machine shop build one. The Bench Dog issue is not about covering the joint on the side, or drilling holes in the rails, BTW; its about not being able to get the table top flush to the saw's.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, but what I want is to buy a cast iron table that fits my new saw. The ones for the 1023 Griz do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White View Post
    Grizzly makes one for the G1023. Not sure if it fits the newer cabinet saws.

Jason
    Not sure how router lift friendly the grizzly one is though.

Having personally mounted a Bench Dog cast-iron router table to my Grizzly 1023 cabinet saw, I don't recommend it -- for a couple of reasons.

It's more than just drilling new holes as Jim suggested (sorry, Jim). On the Bench Dog, you actually have to make the existing holes "oblong" in order to bring the top of the router table flush with the saw's table. The holes are spaced correctly, at least left-to-right. However, when bolted to the saw, the router table sits about 1/4" too low. To correct this situation, I had to take a die-grinder and make the holes oblong. Not a big deal to correct, but not a great time either and a slightly less than perfect installation.

The other issue was that I could only mount the Bench Dog on the right side of the saw instead of the left because of where the saw's motor housing is located. In the end, I sold the Bench Dog and got the router table wing made by Grizzly. It bolts right up. The only real drawback is that it won't accept a router table insert. You have to clamp the router to the underside of the table, or drill holes through the wing for a more "permanent" installation.

Hope this helps!

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    If you want a metal type instead of making your own, try http://www.qualitygrinding.com/ I know Keith Outten has one. And they have given at least one away here on the drawing giveaways. Tell them the size of your plate, and the dimensions for the table you want to mate against, and they can build it.
    Now, If the Grizzly table saw wing has a rounded corner, and I seem to remember it does, trying to match that might be tough. You might have to have a square corner against a round one. Other than that, I'm not sure why the Bench Dog one wouldn't work. So they are different thicknesses. No biggie. The rails should cover up the joint and therefore hide the difference. Holes don't match? Drill new ones. Choose the rail or the router table top to drill, your choice.
    Personally, I'd build my own. Let the top hang over the framework a little on the side that meets the Griz extension. Cut and sand to fit the rounded edge. Once you're happy with that, laminate the top, paint the sides, mount it and have fun. My humble opinion. Your's may differ. Jim

It's not.

However, I have a Freud router mounted in there that allows for above-the-table bit changes and height adjustments. Therefore, I don't need a lift.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Gilmer View Post
    Not sure how router lift friendly the grizzly one is though.

Howard, an inside source tells me that the 2010 Grizzly catalog will have quite a few new "surprises." Not sure what that means, but perhaps a new router table might be among them??

You never know!

Jason

I appreciate that of lot of people like to build their own, or have a machine shop build one. The Bench Dog issue is not about covering the joint on the side, or drilling holes in the rails, BTW; its about not being able to get the table top flush to the saw's.

Again, thanks for the suggestions, but what I want is to buy a cast iron table that fits my new saw. The ones for the 1023 Griz do not.

Thanks Jason. I could have tried modifying the Bench Dog, but as you said, I would have had to file or grind out the holes in the table as well as drill the saw's fence rails. It started to look like a lot of work, for what might end up not working perfectly, after I could no longer return the Bench Dog (Amazon was great about this, BTW).

I spoke with tech support at Griz this morning. They confirmed that the H7507 will not fit the new saws, and said that they had no word on any new router extension table being made for the new saws. But, the tech said the new products are announced in January. So I guess I'll wait and see.

Thanks for all your help.

Sorry my simplistic approach wouldn't work easily. I still feel the best way to do it is to make your own. You can custom fit it the way you want. You can use the existing holes in the fence's angle iron to mount it with. Plus it's a woodworking project. If you haven't worked with laminate before, it's an opportunity to learn a new skill. (And there is some learning curve to it, but I found it to be enjoyable, except for that chunk of wood that got between the laminate and the MDF on my router table.)
    As popular at the 690/691 saws have been, I would think that they would re-tool to make one for it. Especially if the 1023 is going away like it looks like it is, they won't need to keep making the current router top. Anxious to see the new catalog!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Howard,
    I mounted one on the right side of my G0690, but I did have to drill new holes in the Bench Dog ProMax and into Grizzly's table.

14. If you guys can be a little patient for two more weeks, you will be pleasantly surprised when the 2010 catalog comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiraz Balolia View Post
    ... the 2010 catalog ...
    Is this where we also get a peek at the new VS drill press????