Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Band Saw report

Still waiting for comments comparing this saw to the Laguna and MM...

And, for that matter, since I've not read any comments about the 513 and 514 line of saws being unable to handle hard and thick woods, I'd like to know why folks buy the newer 636 saws.

Are my questions too much of a thread jack? I'll start a new thread if you guys think so. And I apologize.

Cameron Reddy

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Reddy View Post
    That's great to know! I happily stand corrected!

So, is this as good as the European saws?
    Cameron,
    I would say yes, but I could be considered biased! I haven't used the Laguna but have the MM 16. I'd say the guides go to the MM though the Griz guides are more than adaquate. Supprizingly the Table finish and flatness is better on the Grizzly, and on the 636X it is one beefy unit. Once my new blade arrives I give a proper evaluation. Oh and the thing to remember is that the Grizzly IS $1000 cheaper.
    Bill

Response for Cameron

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Reddy View Post
    Still waiting for comments comparing this saw to the Laguna and MM...

And, for that matter, since I've not read any comments about the 513 and 514 line of saws being unable to handle hard and thick woods, I'd like to know why folks buy the newer 636 saws.

Are my questions too much of a thread jack? I'll start a new thread if you guys think so. And I apologize.

Cameron Reddy
    Cameron, Sorry for the delayed reply I was visiting family out of state. I responded to one of your earlier posts. Responding to the TJ I am doing a bunch of re-sawing of White oak recovered from my own property and went with "the last saw I'd have to buy". The posts from the other Grizzly users were what encourged me to go for the 636X. I don't regret the choice. I'm sure the other saws will work fine, but will just be a bit slower while doing it. I was concerned to be sure I could properly tension a 1" resaw blade too.
    Bill