Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any reason to have. . .

Any reason to have. . .

cable TV, internet, and phone in a shop?

A lot of folks do have all you mentioned.

I find a phone handy. I bought a 3 station portable phone system and placed the base and 1 station in the house and the 3rd station in my shop. The phone has an intercom funciton so the LOML can call me to dinner without getting in the weather between the shop and the house.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I dont have TV in the shop but I do have a phone and internet
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

I have a phone and XM radio. I don't often answer the phone. Since I have precious little shop time, usually one full day a weekend, I try to avoid distractions. I need to stay focused to make any time. I find stopping 5 minutes makes me lose 15. Of course, stopping for a snack doesn't count.
    fmr

when I'm working in my shop the last thing I want is a phone interrupting me. Sometimes I think it'd be nice to have a TV but that's just a distraction to deal with. Music is good, my shop radio broke a year ago and I haven't replaced it... thinking about getting one of those combination ear protection and a radio setups but I really prefer satellite radio.

Internet would be handy but I can easily plop my laptop on my workbench and get that with my wireless network if I need it for anything.

You'll get a lot of answers, it all comes down to what personal preferences are.

When I'm in the shop I'm usually the only one at home, so I take a phone just in case something goes bad and I need to dial 911. Wouldn't want to leave a mess in the house for someone else to clean up.

I have cable, wireless internet, and a radio in the shop. For a phone I always carry my cell phone when I am working in the shop. IMO the phone is important to have if an accident occurs as I am alone %99 of the time when working in the shop. The others are actually a liability and distraction requiring a little thought and common sense as to when they will be safe to use.

Any important call is on my cell, so it is always in my bib pocket. The land line phone is only for telemarketers! I have wireless internet @ home, so in the even I need my laptop in the shop, I can connect. But, NO TV. Just an old boom box tuned to an Oldies FM station.

As has been mentioned, shop time in precious, and once I am ON A ROLL, I hate to be interrupted! Besides, multi-tasking may be hazardous to my health in a shop full of sharp objects and TONS of clutter!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Cell reception is iffy for me in my shop. So, not reliable enough.

+1 for the satellite cordless that you just plug the charger into any outlet. Works for me.

+1 for have A phone in your shop in case of emergency.

I don't have internet or TV in mine. When I need those, I come into the house and plop myself in front of my 65" plasma...which is my computer monitor...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I have a hard time seeing a reason for a TV in the house, much less reason for cable TV in the shop. If it weren't for my wife wanting it, I wouldn't have sprung for one of those D/A converters when analog TV went bellyup - don't need one to watch DVD movies.

I've a computer sitting out in the shop and an Ethernet line from the home network, but haven't set it up yet. Purpose is to use that computer as the server for the network and for immediate access to stored project plans for part dimensions, etc. and for online ordering/wish list maintenance when a shortage crops up while I'm working. It's aggravating to have to interrupt the process to go back to the house to call up the plans to check a dimension or remember to check my notebook for needed hardware/tooling/etc.

I've a telephone line run along with the Ethernet cable and have an extension phone installed. Don't have a cell phone and intend to leave this world in that same condition. Handy for intercom with the house (shop is an outbuilding), in the event of an emergency that leaves me conscious and mobile, or when I'm the only one on the premises and (rarely) am expecting a call I don't wish to miss. But, it's primarily for outgoing calls since with hearing protectors on and the machine noise, it's not always apparent that the phone's ringing.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

Internet in the shop. Sure. Gotta have quick and easy access to SMC. TV, no, who wants to watch TV when you are working with wood?

+1 on networking in the shop, for research and streaming radio while working. I'm also blessed with a job where I work from home, so on slow days I can switch my VOIP line to my shop computer and get paid while woodworking.

We also plan a local webcam so we can keep an eye on the shop and whoever's working out there.
    Last edited by Cliff Holmes; 01-05-2010 at 5:44 AM.

I have a phone in the shop, at a height that is low enough to be reached from the floor.

Hopefully I never have to use it.

Regards, Rod.

That's why I always carry my cellphone when working outside the house.

When I decided my basement was going to be a "shop" the first thing I did was run a HDMI cable down there. That way I can watch football and baseball while working. I have too many hobbies to not multi-task, and god knows I will never sacrifice watching sports.