Thread: Homemade Dust Collector Dampers

Homemade Dust Collector Dampers

There's been some recent renewed interest in automated dust collector dampers as an alternative to manual blast gates. Recently, a fellow SMC'er posted his pneumatic actuator design which I thought was way cool. This design uses electric solenoids and has been posted here before, and is nothing new. However, I just made up a photo essay from pics I took when making 6" dia models that I built a few years ago...

-Jeff

Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

Blog Entries
    Very nice damper but you can do the same thing using your front and rear end pieces and a single thickness of lexan. Just cut a U shaped piece out of a rectangle of lexan that is the same width and about 2" longer than the height of your end pieces. The width of the U should be the diameter of the pipe being used. Peel the protective covering off the inside of the U and leave it on the out side of the U (this creates a slight amount of clearance). Sandwich the cut out between the two end pieces and screw them all together with four wood screws near the corners. Slide in the inside piece and add a single sheet metal screw to keep it from pulling back out.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I saw your design before and thought it interesting. I'm curious about the effect of air turbulence due to the baffle and transition between round duct and square corners.

Personally, I have no issue reaching over and pulling or pushing a blast gate at a tool.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.

Does the blade ever try to act like a wing in the wind? You've basically got a little wind tunnel going there!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Does the blade ever try to act like a wing in the wind? You've basically got a little wind tunnel going there!
    Nope. Nothing that I could tell. The pivot shaft is in the middle of the blade whereby making the blade immune to torque created by airstream pressure. When open (parallel), the solenoid and the return spring provide enough force to keep the blade steady.

-Jeff
    Thank goodness for SMC and wood dough.

GE dishwashers use a similar system to control the "dump valve" on the pump. Solenoids can be has for free off old dishwashers. But because they are "snap action" parts must be designed to account for this.