Thread: First Cherry Bowl Project

First Cherry Bowl Project

Sorry, I couldn't resist!

Its a present for my mother. That wasn't supposed to be funny! My sister sent me a magazine picture and sketch a month ago but I wasn't into bowls at the time.

My only turning this weekend was last night when I attempted to redesign a roughout I had taken a chip out of last week. I also removed the bark from one where I had turned it away in the valley before I understood what caused it.

I do have a question about bark though. I would like to cut some wood over the holidays for bowls. Some natural edge and some natural edge minus the bark. Can I remove the bark on some of the pieces then (easier) or should I wait until the bowl is roughed out and dried? Or does it matter?

Following some of your preferences, I picked up a quart of wipeon poly to try on the cherry and "chopped off change dish". The cherry has 5 coats and the chopped off butternut 2 so far.

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good looking bowls Baxter. In regards to bark I find it easier to take the bark off before I turn. I have a big old wood chisel that works great for that.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Thanks Bernie. I thought the bark would peel off a little easier if it was green but I didn't know if there might be some drawback. Some of my timberframing chisels should be up to the task - its been a while since they earned their keep! Don't want to damage the wood though. Guess I'm visualizing a tree that isn't perfectly round or oval. Lots of ins and outs as you go around the tree that would show up better minus the bark.

Unless the bark is loose to begin with I leave it on and turn it away as the bowl takes shape. You have certainly done a fine job with the NE's in the photo's..Bill..

Baxter, are these all destined to be doggie bowls? That is super cool!! I like the raised dog feeder too.

Baxter - if you are going to remove the bark before you turn - make sure you only remove it from the blank you are going to turn and not the entire log as the bark helps keep the moisture locked in the wood. Remove the bark and it will start drying out real fast! I can almost guarantee that Cherry would start to check within a few minutes!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Baxter, those are some neat looking bowls. I know that NE is a popular form, but I kind of like the "chopped off" look. Kind of adds another design element. The others on which you have turned the bark off look nice, as well. Seems that when I look at the various turnings, a NE adds something only on certain pieces. Often, it is the unique overall shape of the piece that really sets off a NE. On rather simple pieces, it doesn't do much for me. But, then, if it isn't a flat board I really know very little about it!

Looks like you have an assembly line going!

Thank you Bill. I noticed you have a couple of NE bowls with feet in your pictures. In another post, Bob Hallowell suggested trying some carved feet on one. Your examples were the only ones I found in the galleries. May try that sometime.

Gary- They aren't - but would be a lot more useful if they were! Of course I can't control what people do with them after I give them away! If they do, will wish they had gotten the ones with clunky bases!

Steve - Reading your response has helped me sort out what I was thinking and I will try to clarify. If I cut a tree, cut a piece to length, then split a section that I think might look better with no bark, still wait untill I get to the lathe with it before removing it. Or rough out the blank and let it finish drying before removing the bark. I cut off then sanded the edge on some of the ones I have done but felt like i was getting a sanded rim. I'm trying to arrive at a bowl rim (in my mind)that is clean but hasn't been touched by a tool.

John - Thank you. I know where you are coming from in respect to the bark. I have been trying to stay "true to the rough out" so to speak but have thought some would look a lot cleaner/more finished/dressy if the bark wasn't there.
    Have been working on setting up a bigger and better shop for a little over a year. My goal was to be able to build some "nice" free standing furniture for being a hobbiest woodworker. Your work shows how far one can go in that regard! The kinds of things I would like to "approach"! I am almost shop ready if I don't get distracted by this "bowl thing" for too long.
    Enjoy your new chunk of wood!