Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of Collaborative Vessels

A couple of Collaborative Vessels

Here's a couple of Hard Maple Collaborative pieces that my friend & I made together. So whats your thoughts on these? There from about 10" to 14" tall
    Attached Images Attached Images

They all have excellent shapes. The coloring work appears to be very well done. My personal preference would have been a clear (or almost clear) finish.

Joe, I think these are very nice and pleasing to the eye...Im glad to see something different
    Dave

IN GOD WE TRUST
    USN Retired

Joe, I'm not usually a big fan of dyed pieces but these made a believer out of me. they are gorgeous,,,love the form too...Bill..

Joe

You really have a good mentor. Steve has the most impressive finishs I have ever seen. Great work. I would be very hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Joe,

Excellent form on all 3 vessels. The finishes on all 3 are beautiful and intriguing!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Form is great, I like the blue best for form. Finish looks great, but I'm not sure about the dye jobs. Generally, I like the treatment at the top more than the bottoms. If I were commissioning one, I would like the shape of the blue one with the top dyed like the green one but in the red dye, Leave the bottom natural. But that's just me.

How are you applying the color? looks like a dip, with sharp transitions. Perhaps a spray with tinted lacquer would allow for a smoother transition.

All in all, very nice pieces.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Quiram View Post
    Joe

You really have a good mentor. Steve has the most impressive finishes I have ever seen. Great work. I would be very hard pressed to pick a favorite.
    Terry Your so very right, on both accounts.
    Steve has really taken me in and taught me so very very much you wouldn't believe. From technique to forms, to harvesting wood to the rough turning, hollowing, drying process, finish turning,& even his sanding & finishing techniques
    I've been very fortunate to say the least.

Thom
    Thanks for looking.
    The color is all airbrushed acrylic paints. Not dye.

Joe, my thought is...Magoo, you've done it again! I must say while I think many people here are posting some excellent turnings, IMO you and Bill Bolen set the standard for hollow forms here on the Creek. Ordinarily I prefer my art as it comes from nature, but now and again see some that benefitted from the addition of color. Excellent forms, and the colors look great, as well. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say the first one, as the teriffic wood grain and green go so well together.

great!

Joe they are beauties! Great pieces you both have done a great job! G

Beauties Joe. Really like the colors.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice job, blue is my favorite.

I have to agree with the sentiment here in that I generally prefer natural finishes, but these are indeed gorgeous and love the forms.
    David

Joe - really like the forms on these - especially the blue vase. I like your use of color but find I really like the portion of each vase where the color is more of a tint and you can still see the wood grain. Just a personal preference kind of thing! Sure got that gloss figured out! Very impressive work!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!