Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardwood flooring finishing - best product(s) to use?

My wording was confusing indeed as I re-read my post. I was trying to seperate oil based polyurethanes from linseed oil (or similar natural oils) vs. synteko. Thanks for the clarification. My greater point about what synteko is, is still correct though. It is an alkyd oil. Synteko even says "synthetic oil", so I doubt very much it is linseed oil based.
    Vytek 5151 FXB 100W, Adobe CS5 (Illustrator + Photoshop), Photograv 3.0, Laserworx (signlab)

An alkyd is, by definition, a synthetic "oil". It's actually a polyester modified with a fatty acid. Thus, all alkyds are "oils", but not all oils are alkyds.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

synteko natural

Zsolt Paul, thanks for sharing your experience. I too am considering to use this synteko oil on my brand new floors, I went with "Para Rosewood" (Monkey wood) for my floors mainly because of its excellent stability (radiant heat directly under it). Since this wood is a lot denser and harder than oak, will using synteko be a still good way to go? Would the radiant heat directly under the floor be an issue (smell etc)? Are two coats still recommended? How much time to allow between the coats. And finally, do you buy it locally? I'm from the same area.
    Thanks in advance, Tad

Hi there again!

Really appreciate all your previous advice earlier this year.

Well, we are going to make a purchase in the next few days for the flooring finish.

A couple more questions - we have a cat, and well, in some areas on our floor she has peed, she is an old cat uses her litter box most of the time but there were some occasions where she did not.

So we are wondering what's the best way to neutralize the cat urine prior to application of the floor finish?

Are there any products or methods you know of that can neutralize the odor and discoloring prior to finishing?

We are also concerned about trapping in any of the urine into the wood after the finish is applied any thoughts there?

Also, is there a floor finish that is good in being resistant to cat urine? Are oil or water based finishes better at resisting pet damage?

The cat was doing this on white oak with a very thin finish on it – we tore the carpet up a few years ago and the finish on the wood was worn thin in some places it looked like there was no finish at all.

Also I am curious if the BonaKemi Bona Mega product has anyone had good experience with this product, is it good for home use high traffic areas? It is a two steps down from the BonaKemi Traffic product.

Lastly,Home Depot offers a water based polyurthane coating for about 42 bucks a gallon, it istheir own Home Depot privatelabelbrand. Does anyone know who makes this for them?

It is similar in price to the BonaKemi Bona Mega product.

Thanks for any insights.
    Last edited by Sean Rainaldi; 05-28-2010 at 11:45 AM.

>>>>> Oil based polyurethanes are not linseed oil based. I was talking about other penetrating oils. Synteko is not linseed oil based indeed. It is an alkyd with high solids.

In almost all cases, polyurethane or urethane solvent varnishes are made with linseed oil. The only other drying oil used in oil based floor varnishes is tung oil. Tung oil is used in Waterlox's oil based products.

As for Synteko, if you are referring to their "Urethane" product, it is a pretty standard urethane varnish. Like all varnish it's made with a resin and a drying oil. The resin is an alkyd resin mixed with a dollop of urethane resin and then mixed with a drying oil. This is then heated to a certain temperature until a new compound is formed called varnish. Thinner--in their case, naphtha--is added to thin it for proper application and leveling. All in all it's almost identical to any other polyurethane or urethane varnish. That's not to say that it is an inferior product, it's just to say that it's nothing unique or magical.
    Howie.........

Hi again all LOL.

Well, we are ready to finally buy the finish, I hope to get it on within the week, a few final questions on finishing before I order.

Of all prodcuts mentioned above, or any others not mentioned, which product(s) does anyone think would hold up to pet stains, i.e, if a cat pees on the floor?

Personally I would prefer to not have a cat, that does not go over very well with the wife, and once and a great while there is a pet accident...

Also, which product cleans easiest, and how would we clean and polish, i.e. what floor cleaning products are best to use?

Thanks much.

Well now I'm all confused.

I just spoke with tech support over at Bonakemi, and the gal there said that they do not recommend using their products unless I use a sanding sealer first, and if I don't, that there is a possibility that my white oak flooring would either, in her words - "tear", or turn green. She said that is why they don't normally sell to the end user, and only sell their products to professional floor sanding – finishing companies because it is a complicated process – applying their finishes.

Anyway, I am just curious, is it really necessary to use a sanding sealer on white oak? Or do they just want to sell more stuff?

Also she recommended to sand the wood down to 100 grit then buff the wood using 180 grit before applying the sealer and the finish.

Any one agree with this scenario? OR dis agree?

I am thinking it might be better to just go with a plain old fashioned oil based finish...maybe I should just cheap out and buy the home depot brand oil or water based finishes when I rent the floor sander there?

Thanks.