Thread: dewalt 625

Question dewalt 625

I need advice if cutting the base surrounding the plunge posts will weaken or cause the router to loosen or create a wobble. reason; some of my bits are just about 1/4 to 3/8 inch short(router is table mounted).I found instructions on one of forums but this was lost to due to computer glitch(lost all email addys) Has anyone had actual experience(no guessing please) doing this or
    can someone direct me to a forum that maybe they have seen the gentleman
    that has done this. He claimed no dysfuntions. YES, i have searched the web("until i finished it!!) Thanks to anyone.

Fred Drake

Fred, I'm aware of your problem. For me that is the best router out there for a table with your one exception. I run into the problem frequently.

On the old Badger Pond a gentleman had machinist friends build a completely new base using his old support rods and much thinner steel plate.

I just purchased a machined steel 5/16" x 7 x 12" plate to do something similar. The plan is to simply turn plugs of steel to insert and probably silver solder into the original support columns. Unless I misread the Dewalt web site, those supports are the only part of this router not sold. I suspect they want to avoid folks trying such things. The plugs will be drilled and tapped and screwed to the plate from the top. Then the "insert" that is 5/16" thick steel will also become the router base.

My router hangs under 1/2" inch of the table top. The base is a bit over 3/4" thick. Add those two numbers and subtract the plate thickness, and I will gain almost a full inch of protrusion past original! That should put me through the top of the table with the collet nut even.

This is our busy season so it will likely be a couple of months or more before I get it done. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to email me. Put something in the subject line so that I don't misss it.

I mentioned the idea to a couple of manufacturers who seemed interested. One day someone may produce it if it goes as I think it will.

David

Quote Originally Posted by fred drake
    I need advice if cutting the base surrounding the plunge posts will weaken or cause the router to loosen or create a wobble. reason; some of my bits are just about 1/4 to 3/8 inch short(router is table mounted).I found instructions on one of forums but this was lost to due to computer glitch(lost all email addys) Has anyone had actual experience(no guessing please) doing this or
    can someone direct me to a forum that maybe they have seen the gentleman
    that has done this. He claimed no dysfuntions. YES, i have searched the web("until i finished it!!) Thanks to anyone.

Fred Drake