Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally, a shop!

Go with sliding doors. Saves space and you can make your own.
    The Plane Anarchist

how would I do that?

I'll take a pic of a sliding door I have in my shop tomorrow. No big deal just slides like a small barn door. Then you wont have a problem with the space a door takes up when it swings in or out.
    The Plane Anarchist

Well, we started the shop today. My dad wanted me helping builders (both very good friends), just to learn about it a little bit, and I figured that I would just be fetching supplies. Boy I was wrong! I just about did the first whole wall myself. They constructed the outer rectangle while I was cutting boards to length, and then I used a nailer to nail the studs in place while they held them. then I used a different pneumatic nailer/super duper stapler to fasten the OSB in place. That thing's scary! There is nearly no resistance to the trigger, and it's one of the kinds where you can just hold it down and hit where you want to shoot, and I only started to get pretty good at fastening the OSB by the third wall.
    The pictures were taken pretty late in the build, as you can see, there are already two walls up in the first picture,and we were about to raise the third one, we were just waiting for help on the opposite side to keep from it tipping over too far.
    The second picture is the third wall waiting to be raised.
    The third picture is everybody leaning up against the wall to keep it from falling over.
    Fourth is (from left to right) my brother, my dad's friend, and my dad (hiding behind the ladder) helping from the opposite side.
    Fifth is us watching Butch nail the frame together. I'm in the green shirt with the ponytail.
    Last is three walls up. Beginning to take shape.
    We will probably complete the fourth wall (with a hole for the door in it) and the ceiling (I guess) tomorrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lookin' good, Matt. Keep us up to date with the progress...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Walton View Post
    But remember how I said it's a hangar? that means that we have to be able to fit two airplanes at any given time. usually it's a Cessna 185, and a Cessna 150 (converted to a taildragger).
    A 150 converted? I've never seen one. How did that get certified? Factory kit?

My son is at UND Aerospace and will get a Dragger endorsement next semester (choppers next year care of our Uncle Sam)... They have a Decathalon. Yipee... upside-down without getting yelled at.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

That layout is sweet. Give kudos to your dad for me.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I don't know about recessed, it reduces light being emitted horizontally and the lenses reduce light in general. If you go this route more sources will be required.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    A 150 converted? I've never seen one. How did that get certified? Factory kit?
    It just looks like a 140, or a 180/185 from far away. I'm not sure how it got certified, our mechanic who does the annuals did it, so I guess he got it certified or something. That layout room would be a great shop, but it's come too far for that.
    we are not going to go with recessed, but probably with an acrylic shield to keep dust out. I will have some more pictures later tonight.

it was an STC conversion.

We got a lot done today.
    First off, the last wall was completed, with a hole for the door of course. putting the OSB on was a bit more complicated, as we built the wall outside of the building, so first we raised the wall, and once they had that nailed in place, we tacked the OSB on, which was a little harder, since it was standing up, but not too bad.
    After that, we got the rafters up, and once they had those nailed in, they put an OSB sheet up top, and I stapled it in. After that, one of the contractors ("Butch") and I got up there as the other one (Adam) hoisted the sheets to us, and we put them in place, and once they were all up there, we stapled them all in place.
    We also started to get the siding on, but it got too high for me to reach it, so they will return Monday with scaffolding to finish the job, but they got started on the other side too.
    First three pics are just the frame sitting on the ground.
    Fourth,Fifth, and Sixth are the top part of the door frame.
    Seventh is Adam putting up the first board on the outside, and Eighth is the wall with all the OSB on it.

Oh yeah, I also got to use the foundation gun (BANG!).
    What would you guys recommend for lights? We are going to use 4' fixtures, but my dad and I were wondering what y'all would recommend as far as 3x3 with 4-light fixtures, 3x4 with 2-light fixtures etc.

The first one is simply a shot from the inside with the fourth wall in place.
    Second, Third, and Fourth is just the rafters from different angles, the last of which has the first sheet in place.
    Fifth and Sixth is most of the siding in place (done for today).
    Seventh and Eighth are shots from the inside with the roof stapled down.
    It's getting darker in there.
    I was wanting to get a shot from the top, maybe I will do that tomorrow, as there is a strip that needs to be stapled over a crack to keep the rats/mice out, so I need to go up there anyway.

Moving right along, Matt. Looks great.
    I drink, therefore I am.

What have you decided to do for a door? Sorry I haven' gotten you a pic of my sliding door yet, just can't seem to remember to take the camera out to the shop. And now I have to crawl over a snowbank to get there!
    Looking good. Next comes the electrical!
    The Plane Anarchist

Thanks Mike!
    Leigh: We are just going with double doors that open inward. My dad does not like sliding doors, he says the ones that slide on the exterior cannot get a good seal (as we will have heating and cooling), and if the ones that slide inside the wall ever get off the tracks, you have to rip the whole wall out to get to them.