Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Finally, a shop!

I am in Pecan Plantation, which is south of Granbury.

My shop will be in the back 1/3 of the hangar. The hangar will be 60 by 60, so I will still have 40' of clearance in front of the shop for an airplane.

Yes, resale value is important, but once I have my shop, I will probably live in this house until I die. My wife will have to worry about resale, I doubt I will.

The shop will be against the wall that faces the front of my property. That is the wall where I am considering windows. I will put translucent "skylight" panels in the ceiling of the hangar, but I realize that windows that open towards the hangar are of little value.

If I put windows in, they will start at 8' and go to 11' or so. That way people cannot look into the shop, and the walls will be mostly clear below that level, but the windows will still provide light.

I will have to talk to the builder(s) about the window/wall interface. At first I will not be able to afford it, but I would like to air condition the shop eventually, so I want to plan for that and install good insulation.

I need to get serious about my plans if I am going to get this going this spring.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Hey, that's neat! My aunt and uncle live there!
    That's a good idea for the windows. I noticed that in an earlier post you said you will have storage up top, so I was wondering how you plan to get up there.
    Here's what my dad has to say about the conversion: "It’s not a Texas Taildragger conversion. The Texas Taildragger used the main gear from the 150/152 which is entirely too low and the wrong shape for a taildragger and they are horrible on the ground. This conversion is an STC from David Lowe in Kentucky which uses Cessna 140 parts. The early 150’s were just 140 fuselages anyway."

Well, the walls are painted, the floor is polished, the A/C is hooked up, that can only mean one thing:
    TIME TO MOVE IN!!
    I know it's pretty close to move in time, but I was wondering if anybody could give me layout tips.
    shop.jpg
    What I have to go in there is:
    Contractor TS - 3' 6" x 4' 9" (center middle)
    Rikon 14" Bandsaw - 2' 2" x 1' 9" (center left)
    Workbench - 2'x4' I plan to expand/make a new one at about 3'x6' (top middle-right)
    Paint Booth - 2'x3' (top right)
    Router Table - 2'x2' 6" (center right)
    Combo Belt Sander - 1'x1' 6" (center-lower right)
    Floor Standing Drill Press - 2'x1' (lower right)
    Wall Mount Pegboard cabinet 2'x1' (top middle-left)
    Possibly other 3'x6' workbench (lower left)
    We also plan to get the quintessential beginner's DC: Harbor Freight 2HP (top left)

Is this a ridiculous layout (probably)? Is it perfect (very probably not)? what needs improvement?
    I also plan to get a benchtop planer (DW735)
    And, I plan to make something like this
    etip010518sn.jpg
    http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip010518sn.html

Any other ideas?
    Also, is there any tool that is very not safe to put on casters? Our bandsaw said to bolt it to the ground, but is that just to keep the lawyers away? do you recommend a caster?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Walton View Post
    Is this a ridiculous layout (probably)? Is it perfect (very probably not)? what needs improvement?
    I also plan to get a benchtop planer (DW735)
    And, I plan to make something like this
    etip010518sn.jpg
    http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip010518sn.html
    Matt,

Even with a decent DC, my shop still gets dusty. Therefore, I really do not like open shelves and other such dust collectors. So I would NOT build that power-tool caddy that you show. Instead I put my ROS + drills into drawers below my workbench. They're nicely out of sight, and closed away from the dust.

In your shop you probably are going to want to be careful with how you use your space. I wonder if you might consider taking that 3x6 assembly table in the lower left, and putting it on the back of the saw as an outfeed table. Then incorporate your routertable into this overall unit also. Now instead of three separate tools, you have one unit that is smaller than the three items separately, and is a compact use of space. The downside is that you probably can't use the TS at the same time you have something going together on the assembly table. That's just a suggestion for you to think about.

No jointer?
    "It's Not About You."

Where is your wood storage?
    Measure once, cut twice, burn the evidence.

Personal opinion here.... I don't like having my back to the door when operating tools, especially the table saw. Two reasons: I don't want someone coming up behind me and if there were to be a kickback incident I'd rather have it hit a nearby wall than go out into the open where someone could be standing or walking by.

Well, the router table is already built, so there's nothing we can do about that, and as for the other bench, I just found out that he doesn't want it in there, so that point is null.
    So, do you think I could put doors on the shelves to keep the dust out, or just abandon the idea altogether? I am fairly tall (~6'), so I would like most stuff easily accessible. Should I make some simple cabinets to put stuff in?
    Where should I have my wood storage?
    So, just turn the saw around 180 degrees?

Well, my uncle called my dad today asking if he should get the DW735 for $270 or whatever it is, so now I have another tool to find a place for.
    I was thinking about building the "Flip Top Tool Stand" from a book that I got with ShopNotes, and I was planning on putting the planer on one side, and the Ryobi belt sander on the other, but the planer is about 100 lbs. so I hear, so I'm just a bit worried that it would be too unbalanced. what do you guys do for your benchtop planer? do you just put it on your workbench?

Matt, a fliptop stand works fine.

I built a fliptop stand 2-3 years ago for myh dw735 and still use it. I even started out with nothing on the other side of the planer, and it still worked fine, even with that weight.
    "It's Not About You."

OK, great!
    I will build that as soon as I finish my mom's knife block from popular woodworking. We had a friend plane it down for us, but it is inaccurate, to say the least.
    Which brings me to another question: does the DW735 work right out of the box, or do you have to tune it up first?

Well, the planer came Monday, so I put it on a metal stand we have and put it into the shop. We also took the bandsaw off the base and moved it in, as it was slightly too tall to move in under the doorway when also on the dolly. I'm kind of worried, because I would like to have it on casters, but I don't think you can put them on at this point, can you? And if it was possible, would that be okay? Because in the manual, Rikon said to bolt it to the floor, but on their FAQ on their website, they recommended a caster. Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Walton View Post
    ...but on their FAQ on their website, they recommended a caster. Huh?
    Which also appears to be discontinued.

Well, I moved in (partially) Friday, and have some pics of the it at the moment, but I'm not sure I like the layout. I'm not sure what, it's just something.
    The cabinet looking thing is a pegboard storage cabinet, and will be mounted on the wall. From the door, the TS outfeed is to your left. I have already decided that the bandsaw is in the wrong place, it's right in the way of the tablesaw, and I plan to get most everything on casters, the planer and bench sander will be on a flip top tool stand, and the drill press is in the near right corner (from the door). My dad gave me the bookcase, as we were clearing out the other office, and had that left over, so I took it. I have been mulling over a retrofit to add doors to it to keep the sawdust out.
    Here's what I was thinking:
    Route two dadoes, one behind the other, on top of each shelf (where you could see it, top of shelf, bottom of shelf space), and attach a piece of wood to the bottom of the shelf (top of shelf space), adding one sliding door, gluing another piece like the first one, adding the next shelf, and then finishing it off with a piece on the front to keep it from falling out.
    Did any of that make sense?
    But while I was typing this message, I thought about tambour doors, which WWJ did a tambour type door by gluing slats of wood onto a piece of heavy cloth.

Question? Suggestions (please)?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking good, Matt. Now get some dust in that place would ya?! Looks like an operating room...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Speaking of which, is it imperative that I have dust collection right away before I start sawing? Or should I start by buying a good respirator?