Thread: Work Bench Placement

Work Bench Placement

When it comes to finding a good place for your work bench, do you think access to all four sides is particularly important? Thanks.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Opinions here will vary with the individual. I had mine against the wall in one shop and it was fine. I built a new one in the new shop and had it against the wall for awhile out of habit; and it was fine. I then moved it to where I could reach all four sides and really liked it. I then kept buying tools and have ended up blocking the "back" side and it bugs me something fierce. I use the bench as a workbench and have other surfaces for stacking stuff on while I work. I am working out a new layout in my head so I can get back to 'full access'.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-17-2009 at 1:43 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've had it both ways, currently in the open.
    at first I thought it would be the cat's meow to have it 4 side accessible. Now, I've found that I usually clutter up the same corners, and I can't use some edges of the bench. Most of my work is on the smaller side, so I don't really need to spread out and use the entire workbench at the same time.

I did just do some bookcases, and having the open access was a big deal with them. I only had to setup the case once, and I could walk around the bench to drill the pocket holes and apply the face frame.

All in all, I think I prefer having the open access, even if I do need periodic decluttering sessions. I like having the flexibility. I think that the tools are better put against the wall. I usually don't need to get at the back of my drill press.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Kirincich View Post
    When it comes to finding a good place for your work bench, do you think access to all four sides is particularly important? Thanks.

Steve
    I have both - a workbench against the wall and free standing. Both have their advantages. I do prefer the free standing with access all around, especially for building cabinets.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

I've always liked to have access to all 4 sides but in a small shop I don't have that luxury. So mine is against the wall.

While I, like Rich, have both because they both have their uses, my go to bench is the free standing one. Of course, you need a lot of room for one, so that plays into the factoring.

An advantage to a wall bench is that you can secure it to the wall and no matter how much you pound on it, it won't move. Stand alone benches are more likely to have vibration and movement.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I have my woodworking bench against the wall in front of a window. I thought it would make a nice working environment. I also have a metal table with a 3/8" steel plate top for welding. When I'm working wood, I put a sheet of hardboard over the top. It is sitting in the middle of the shop. Guess which gets used more? That's right, the steel table. Its closer to my TS and I can get at all sides of a big project (like a cabinet.) I'm planning to do some rearranging and move the bench out in the middle.

I have access to all 4 sides. I can setup a carving vice on the opposite side of the bench for example, and when I'm carving I simply walk to the other side. This is more convenient for me than removing and installing the vice all the time.

I guess it depends how you use it. If you're just using it for basic dimensioning, dovetailing, etc then up against the wall is probably fine. I use mine for all that, and for instrument building as well. Up against the wall doesn't work for me. I'm always accessing the back side of the bench, things overlap the back, etc.

Doesn't hurt to try it against the wall. You can always move it later.

Blog Entries
    My table is rather large (from an old high school shop) and I have had it both ways. I don't have the room now so I only have access to 2 sides. One end is against the table saw and serves as an outfeed table. That makes me clean it off periodically. My current projects don't require access from all sides but I could see where it would be nice. If I had room I would probably set it up for 3 side access (still using it as an outfeed table).

I don't have a shop quite yet, but I've been planning on having it against the wall, but able to pull it out when I need to.

I built my work bench to double up as outfeed support for my table saw. So no, access to 3 sides is fine. But then again... I guess you could say the top of my saw acts as an extension to the bench too!
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

I placed my workbench so that it could be used as an out feed extension for my table saw when my HTC flip-up roller table is in the "up" position. When the roller table is down, then I have access to all four sides of my workbench. In my last shop I had the same workbench, but it was setup on the left side of my table saw, effectively blocking one side of the workbench. I prefer my current arrangement much better.

Clay

My experience is similar to Matt's. I started with a bench against the wall. Every time I built something larger than a birdhouse, I put a sheet of plywood on two saw horses in the middle of the shop floor so I could get to all sides of the work. I found I used the wobbly saw horse work surface much more than my bench, so I abandoned the bench against the wall and built a new free standing one. I have been really happy with it. I do 80% of my work from one side of the bench, but being able to work from the other side 20% of the time is invaluable.

Hank