Thread: Free Shipping at Grizzly?

Free Shipping at Grizzly?

I want to buy a switch for my router table from Grizzly. I'm wondering if they ever offer free shipping specials/deals. The switch is 13 bucks and shipping is only 8 bucks so it's not really a big deal. I just figured since I'm not in a real big hurry to get the switch yet I'd wait and see if they have any holiday free shipping specials for small items like that. Anybody ever known them to offer free shipping codes like Rockler and Woodcraft, etc. do every now and then? It's not a killer for me to pay the 20 bucks for the item and shipping but I figure why spend almost double the price of the item if you can get around it via free shipping.

Grizzly has been running free shipping on some of their machines because I am sure the profit margins are much higher. But the smaller stuff is always a menu priced shipping, the shipping goes up the more $$ you spend. For somethings heavy itmes like a tenoning jig the shipping is a good deal. But for others it is a scam, I have a hard time buying smaller items from grizzly because shippingf usually gets to expensive. Amazon is nice because of it is over $25 and from amazon shipping is free. But I haven't seen a free shipping on smaller items from grizzly. I would like to see them start a over $49 free shipping, or over $99 would be alright too. I would buy much more from grizzly if they did something like that. They would still need to have some inclusions on things like clamps and real heavy items, but a free shipping would be nice.

I think Grizzly's shipping prices are fair. But, I usually wait until I have several small things to buy before ordering. I forget what the price break down is, offhand.

For a $10.00 item their price seems steep. If your order on small items totals 50 bucks or more, then it's a good deal. I wouldn't buy a $15.00 item alone, unless I was in a pinch for it.

In case you weren't aware of it, and since you mentioned Rockler, you can get free shipping on all orders from Rockler. Here's how:

If you don't have one already, open a free facebook account. Then, Search Rockler Woodworking. Become a "fan" of Rockler. Anytime you wish to order from Rockler, access their site through their facebook page. Ya get free shipping.
    Last edited by Stephen Edwards; 12-18-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: more info
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

Anytime you need something small shipping does seem steep. Somehow we have gotten use to shipping must be free. I know of some mail order that does not offer free shipping just for the reason stated. It would kill them shipping things out for free if all you were getting was a $5 item all the time. Have you ever mailed anything? I sent out a Christmas package yesterday that fit inside a small padded envelope. It was $2.25 shipping + .75 for the envelop.
    Like some has said. I like the idea of Shipping is free over $$$. Like amazon, I keep the small things in my cart till I reach $25 for free shipping.
    I have a friend who went to the furniture store to get a new living room set. After all was said and done they wanted to charge him a flat rate $12 to deliver. He got so mad over this he walked out. Now what gets me is, They could have charged an extra $100 for the set, Offered free shipping,and he would not have complained.

To answer your question. I have never seen free shipping from Grizzly on small UPS type products.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-18-2009 at 1:25 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Simple solution - buy more things from Grizzly then! Seriously, they have so many things in that catalog you're sure to find something to make that $8 shipping seem insignificant. Can't you always use some casters, or another ruler or marking gauge around?

More? I never need more....

Heck yes, I can always find more stuff. I'll run out of funds before I quit finding stuff, no surprise. You guys are right, I've sold some stuff on Ebay and cannot believe what it costs to ship something. In today's world of competitive prices and free shipping offers, I do my best to scour the world for free shipping on my purchase if possible. In the end, when it comes time to pull the trigger and if I haven't found a free shipping coupon for Grizzly, I will likely do just that Matt. I'll fill up my cart with an optimum blend of items designed to make the most of shipping cost while preserving my bank accounts black status.

Overall, I see no reason why Grizzly's shipping prices are unfair. They are competitive with other shipping prices I see. In fact, Rockler uses the same shipping methodology. I buy A LOT of stuff off Amazon. Mainly because I can get free shipping on lots of stuff. Sometimes though, the free shipping idea breaks down because Amazon gets items from third parties as well. Recently I've been using their Prime free trial. Free shipping on a bunch of items, although not enough items to make me want to foot the $75/yr fee. My free trial is up on the 25th, though, I better open another window and order some more!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Anytime you need something small shipping does seem steep. Somehow we have gotten use to shipping must be free. I know of some mail order that does not offer free shipping just for the reason stated. It would kill them shipping things out for free if all you were getting was a $5 item all the time. Have you ever mailed anything? I sent out a Christmas package yesterday that fit inside a small padded envelope. It was $2.25 shipping + .75 for the envelop.
    Like some has said. I like the idea of Shipping is free over $$$. Like amazon, I keep the small things in my cart till I reach $25 for free shipping.
    I have a friend who went to the furniture store to get a new living room set. After all was said and done they wanted to charge him a flat rate $12 to deliver. He got so mad over this he walked out. Now what gets me is, They could have charged an extra $100 for the set, Offered free shipping,and he would not have complained.

To answer your question. I have never seen free shipping from Grizzly on small UPS type products.
    Exactly! In fact, that's what some companies do. Raise the price to include shipping and then "offer" free shipping.

Free shipping is nice but I don't expect it from a company.
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"