Thread: T2 Fence on a Bosch 4100, doable??

T2 Fence on a Bosch 4100, doable??

So here is what I'm thinking.........

My plan is to build a TS/RT cart to house my Bosch 4100 and integrate a router table.

I'm considering adding some table space in front of the TS and I'm definately going to add some outfeed space behind the saw.

The saw will slip into place from the left hand side of the cart and a fill in peice with a sliding dovetail will fill the gap. Off to the rioght of the TS would be the router table portion.

Since I'm creating some infeed space, maybe 3" worth, I'm thinking I can mount the rails for a T2 fence which can serve 2x duty on the TS and RT.

I'd have to leave the space in front of the saw open so I can access the adjustment mechanism but I'd add a secondary power switch for super easy access.

If i create the infeed portion out of a 2x4 frame, would I have any issues mounting the T2 rails to that frame? I suppose I'd have to do the same on the backside for the rear rails??

Thoughts on this? Please don't recommend buying a contractors or hybrid saw....not in the cards right now and so far this Bosch has done everything I've asked of it

TIA

George

Hmm....nobody?

Does anyone know how much the T2 fence & rails weigh? I'm assuming that if I build a solid frame for this cart out of 2x4's the rails can bolt to that....yes?

I'll draw out a sketch of my thoughts if that will help get some feedback

TIA

George

I like the idea and have a 4100 myself. Boy it would be nice to have larger rip capacity, but in the mean time, I just use a circ saw for the big rips.

I'd be worried about getting the fence perfectly setup using a Delta T2 fence mounted on a 2x4 frame. Even if you get everything dialed in, the 2x4 wood might warp with the seasons and the rails might move slightly.

If you could somehow mount the rail so it's metal to metal, then you'll be better off.

If you do mount the 4100 on a custom platform/station then I would use MDF or something stable.

I know it can be done, but it probably won't be easy... Looking forward to see some sketches if you have the time.

Blog Entries
    As long as you used some reliable material for the frame, this should work. there are several examples of this sort of thing but they do not involve 2x4's ;-)

http://images.meredith.com/wood/images/p_462_11_1.gif

http://www.shopnotes.com/images/issu...ter-medium.jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

It was actually those 2 designs that inspired me to figure out if it can be done with a portable jobsite saw.

I was also concerned about the wood movement and throwing things out of whack. I suppose I could use metal legs like those that Rockler sells for the underpinnings and plywood to enclose the lower portion and create some accessory storage.

If I go that route, perhaps I'm better off using BB plywood glued up to a 3" thickness as the connection point between the cart itself and the fence rails....probably would be more stable that 2x4s. The top could also be constructed in a torsion box design to give the top assembly much more stability

I will definately get some sketches posted. I hope to have some time over the weekend to draw this up

Thanks Everyone

George

I can't help on whether or not it would work, but I'm really curious what you come up with here because I've had the same thoughts for my 4100. My problem has been, every time I try to design something similar to those carts, the expense of the unit, rails and fence along with the resale value of the Bosch is way more than just buying a hybrid type saw. I don't want to put $800 into a 'workaround' if I could just something made correctly for the same price.

OTOH, I actually use my 4100 out of the basement shop on occasion, so the 300lbs+ hyrbid is not a real option. Would your design allow the saw to be removed from the cart, or do you intend for it to stay fixed in place?

Adam

I agree...it needs to be cost effective. The biggest reason I went with a jobsite saw was for portability. I own a second home and the saw travels with me when necessary.

My plan would not permanently mount the saw into the workstation. My initial thoughts are to have the saw slip into place from the left hand side. I want to create add'l infeed and outfeed space so my thoughts are to have a filler peice slip into the top from the left after the saw is in place via a sliding dovetail or some other mechanism. Lock it in place.

Its hard to envision.....i'll sketch it out over the weekend. My goal is to add some additional weight/stability to the saw when in the workshop, increase rip capacity and gain the benefit of a full size saw in the shop....yet retain it portability feature for when it needs to take a road trip with me

I did a quick sketch to help visualize what I am trying to accomplish. See attached. In the top view the area colored in green would be a single peice of plywood covered with plastic laminate. The peice in yellow is the side insert that allows the saw to be removed from the workstation. The T2 fence is 57" long so I am establishing that as the total width. Overall size is 57" wide by 36" deep.

There would be an auxiliary fence that mounts to the T2 for the RT with DC via a flex hose connected to the DC pickup in the back (See backview)

George
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thinking about this last night, I'm wondering if there's a way to combine what you've got with a saw table mount like the Rousseau. I'm not sure exactly how theirs works, a combination of clips and mounting pads, that you could probably rework into the bigger cart you've designed.

Adam

Adam

Interesting.....I'm going to have to see if I can download mounting instructions from thier website

Thanks!

George