Thread: Impact driver acting up

Impact driver acting up

I have a 12V Makita (6980FDWDEX) impact driver that's worked great for about 4 years with its NiMh batteries under pretty heavy usage, but it's begun to act as though the batteries are dying. Symptoms: it begins driving screws then stops like an old-style cordless drill with a dead battery, but when I release and then pull the trigger again it usually begins the bumping impact driver action and successfully sets the screw. My question is: has anyone had one of these drivers act this way? If so, did replacing the batteries fix the problem? I'd hate to buy batteries and find out that this problem is in the driver itself and not a symptom of dying batteries. So if any of you Makita owners out there can fill me in on their experience with these units I'd really appreciate the benefit of your insights and advice. Thanks!

My guess is the trigger switch is developing a poor connection due to dust and wear in the area where it senses how much the trigger is pulled.

John

Anyone know of a way to test the batteries? They read around 13V DC with my Radio Shack multi-meter set on voltsDC.

Found out the batteries were the problem. Seems the rebuilders charge too much for shipping. Guess I'll need to buy all new batteries or a new tool (what a waste the latter seems to be).

as much as I hate to recommend this... buy a new driver with two new batteries (and upgrading to Li-ion at the same time) is more cost effective in the long run than buying new batteries alone. It's wasteful I know, but at least you are moving up to non-toxic li-ion technology.

There are some screaming deals on Makita cordless tools, look around.