Thread: Dust collector remote has stopped working-sort of

Dust collector remote has stopped working-sort of

After using the remote to start up the dust collector this morning for the 2nd or 3rd time, it would immediately shut down. After a couple of trys, I found that the dust collector would start and run as long as I held the remote button down. Release the button and it would shut down. That was actually a relief! Runs fine if I just plug the clearvue into an outlet.

The remote is a 120 volt that I got less than a year ago from Woodcraft. Used it on a 1 hp Delta for a couple months, then reused it on my new Clearvue for the last two. I remember reading on the clearvue site that they had stopped selling remotes because of problems with them.

Do I need a new remote, or is there something I could look for if I try taking it apart? My success rate for taking apart and repairing electrical things that have stopped working is pretty low!

Thanks for any suggestions including reccomendations on brand, if I just need a new one.

Baxter

I'm confused. Clearview cyclones use 230 volts, right? If you're controlling it with a relay rated for 115 volts, it is not surprising that the relay failed. You should be matching the specs of the remote-control system to motor, in terms of voltage and horsepower.

Hi Jamie,
    You are right, the clearvue requires a 30 amp circuit for its 5p motor. It comes with a relay though that has a coil voltage of 110. I will just cut and paste from the clearvue site:

"This is a typical two pole single throw relay. The contacts should be rated for at least 30 amps and the coil voltage should be 110V. That will allow you to switch the coil on and off with a regular light switch or a remote control that turns lights on and off."

It can be run by plugging it into a 110 remote or just by passing the remote and plugging it into the 110 receptacle that the remote was plugged into, which is what I did today. Since it is in the unheated part of my pole barn, at least it keeps me from turning it off and on so often!

So as long as I'm holding down the start button on my key fob, it runs, release the button and it stops. Maybe it just didn't like the cold out there today.

Sounds like the contacts of your remote relay that powers on the motor contactor are shot. These contacts are not staying *latched* On after you push and release the button. IFFY, that you can work on the internals of the relay. If it is a sealed unit inside the case, replacement will be necessary.

I like the *cheap-o* X10 stuff. IF it goes *south*, replacement is wayy economical. It's plenty good for low amperage apps, such as powering only a relay coil. Lots of duty cycles before burnout.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Thanks Chip, your description sounds like what is going on. Just came in from the shop, and it was working half the time today. Seems to have more success staying running if I make a quick hit on the button rather than press and release. Will be on the lookout for a new one though. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

Baxter