Thread: Snow blower/thrower advice

Snow blower/thrower advice

My father is in the market for (most likely a cheap) snow blower/thrower. Wondering if anyone could recommend a model around $300-$400 or something to look for or look out for in a model. Or for that matter if a blower or thrower.

Appreciate the help

Thanks

Matt, a LOT depends on where your Father lives, and what the average annual snowfall is. I live in the midwest, and the past few years, we have had little or no use for a Snowblower/Thrower. Some of the smaller, 2 cycle units do a good job, and they are easy to operate and store. I would inquire at a local small engine dealer and see what they think. These are the folks that service this equipment and most of them will be on the level with you. I find the small, "Mom & Pop" dealers the best around here. Whatever you buy, it is important to follow the suggestions for storing the unit in the off season. Most problems with any Gasoline small engine is improper long term storage, and those problems can get costly. I have used several manufacturers units over the years, and I once used a small, 2 cycle Toro that really did a nice job, for a thrower-type. It was light weight, and easy to handle.

(For what it's worth, I don't own a Snow Blower/Thrower............I have a 20 year old Son and a Shovel....................heck, I buy him a new one every year!)

Thanks for the reply, good idea about checking out some the mom and pop stores.. He lives in Ohio and the average snow fall for the area is around 50-60 inches I think. Least that is what I heard on the news just a few weeks ago.

As for the son thing.. I would still be that son with a shovel if he doesn't buy one this year. It's a pain going over there to shovel, come back home and shovel my big driveway..So I am hoping he goes forward with this =)

Your welcome Matt. Yep, that is a pretty good chunk of snowfall for a winter. Sounds like a snowblower would be a good investment. At the College where I am employed, the Grounds Department has a pretty nice John Deere Snowblower............the Auger type. It does a good job, and they have had no problems with it. In St. Louis, we never know what type of winter we will be getting, but when we get a significant snowfall, the Deere is a workhorse on the sidewalks where the small plow on the Bobcat won't fit. I would still check out the local shops and see what they say.............of course, they are gonna be touting the brand they sell, but service is very important on a seasonal unit like this, and getting good service when YOU need it is something to consider as well.

(It might be a good idea to have a small trailer, or ramps if you have a pick-up truck, so you and your Dad can share the snowblower if you get a BIG 'UN!) Man, can you believe we are talking about SNOW already? Where did the summer go?

Matt,

I have a 2-stage 5.5 hp OHV 22" snow blower. I live on a corner and have a large 3-car drivway, and it takes about an hour to do the drive walks, and neighbors walks. 22" is a nice size, easy to store and manuever. The 5.5 hp OHV seems to have more power then a regular engine, but I wouldn't mind having a 7 or 8 hp engine for the size of blower. If I ever replace it, which I doubt will be any time soon, I would go for a 24" 7/8/9hp blower. Mine has electic start, but pulls easily if you stop in the middle of the drive. I also have full chute controls on the console (which is nice since I do a lot of direction changes). I think it was around $750 new 6 or 7 years ago, but I bought it at the end of season for half price. I think all you will fin in your price range is a 2-cycle single stage blower. They are find for light snows and smaller drives, but if you need a larger blower, I would look for a used machine or wait until the end of season and try and find a good buy.

John

Sounds like John's is a lot like mine. I bought it on sale at Sears at the beginning of the season. I definitely recommend 8 hp or larger and for sure a 2 stage snow thrower to get it as far away as you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Ciborek
    My father is in the market for (most likely a cheap) snow blower/thrower. Wondering if anyone could recommend a model around $300-$400 or something to look for or look out for in a model. Or for that matter if a blower or thrower.
    A lot of the requirement is how much driveway and parking you need to clear. If it's a 200' driveway then you need a bigger machine if you are to get it done in a reasonable amount of time.

In that price range you are looking at a single stage... whilst a 2 stage is real nice, I survived here in the Michigan Lake Effect Snowbelt for many years with a used Toro S series for 10 years and now a Arien 520 series.. right at the top of your price range but it handles my 75' foot driveway and associated 3 cars worth of parking spaces in about an hour unless we get 1' or more at a time .. I try to keep ahead of it. If you want to see Michigan snow, hit one of the weather web sights during a lake effect storm, look at a Michigan map showing snow bands off of the lake via radar. Find the one that starts south of grand haven and swings down through Allegan and tips out just south & east of there... right at that tip is my house. I get 10" of snow -- 1 mile east they get 3" ...

Anyway after 4 years of misuse (I have a teenager) .. some stabil every spring, the sucker started yesterday when I brought it home from my moms barn/garage. All I did was blow off the dust, clean the plug, dump old and put in fresh gas, hit on the second pull. I have to admit I am impressed with the Ariens considering I don't do much maintenance... I was going to buy a honda -- but the 700$ vs 400$ price tag was too much difference for me.

Well that's my 0.02$ worth .... BTW buy it locally from a good shop and if you do need maintenance, it's easier to get good support from a local shop.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Blog Entries

Snow blowers

I just replaced a Toro 8Hp 30" two stage last winter with an Ariens 10 Hp two stage and couldn't be happier. While they are not in the price range you mention, they are good machines, so look for a used one in good shape. The new Ariens throws the snow higher than the house. More than once, I have blown snow up onto the roof of the house. I had the Toro for nearly 20 years before the motor died. My Mother has a 5 Hp Honda two stage track type and it does a great job as well. For your area and snow fall, I wouldn't waste my time or money on a single stage machine. A 5 Hp machine should be able to handle it.

What ever you get be sure to get a can of WD-40 or silicone spray ans spray the chute and auger before each use. It will save you a lot of grief clearing clogs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Reco

IMHO......TORO Jerry
    Jerry