Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thickness Planer decision?

Very nice...she did good!
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

Lucky man. I am in the planer first camp. As others have said. You can make a sled for the planer, and you can clamp a long piece of MDF to your fence to joint boards, but it's great that you can get both now.

Congrats on the xmas gift and the girl friend! These discussions come up all the time and I say you could flip a coin on which to buy first. It doesn't matter because you need them both and soon after getting one,you will realize it and get the other.

She's a keeper! Man, I drop hints to my wife left and right about what I want and they just fall on deaf ears.

Congrats on both!

If it wasn't too late, I would've recommended planer first, and advocated using a hand plane to knock off bow/twist first.

With planer, the basic work (thicknessing) seemed pretty automatic, and I just had to deal with a couple of issues:
    - tearout: keep track of grain direction as you feed in
    - snipe: adjust feed tables to minimize; use scrap pieces to pretty much eliminate
    - dents: use dust collection and keep debris out of the cutting area before feeding in your work piece (note: don't try and clear out with planer running)

Jointing had all of these issues, and also required some care in use to actually make progress in flattening a board.

Hopefully you'll find a good project to reciprocate and encourage further gifts along these lines!

Matt