Thread: Replace HF bags with Onieda filter?

Replace HF bags with Onieda filter?

Has anybody replaced the stock HF 2hp unit's bags with filters from Oneida? Was going to order from Wynn, but Oneida is in the neighborhood.

No I haven't, but the Wynn is a great filter. Fits the DC perfectly - take a couple minutes to set up. And the people at Wynn are great to deal with.
    It’s only work if somebody makes you do it.
    A day can really slip by when you're deliberately avoiding what you're supposed to do.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together.

Another Wynn user here...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

My experience replacing a bag filter with a cartridge type wasn't satisfactory. Cartridge filters get clogged with sawdust quite quickly. DCs designed to have cartridge filters have some scheme to easily unclog the filter, like a built-in beater paddle or the like. If the DC doesn't have that, keeping it operational is too much work. I did it once that way, and eventually went back to the bag. If I were to do it again, I'd get a cartridge from Jet or somebody which has the beater built in.

A pre-seperator like a Thein Baffle in a 30 gal trash can goes a long way to solve the cannister clog problem.

Wynn filter and poly bags here as well. The only way to go.

Clog problem?

Mind you I have a Thien separator in line before my DC. But I have run countless heaps of sawdust through my system, and between the Thien keeping all of the large dust and shavings, and most of the fine dust away from the filter, I haven't had any trouble at all with the cartridge filters...

I talked with Dick Wynn about his different filters regarding the usefulness of the Spun Bond Poly versus the paper blend versus the new Nano material. The Spun Bond and the Nano are both chemically treated to easily release dust, and I have found on mine, that a simple tapping of the canister immediately after shutting the DC down, knocks down virtually all the fine dust. After almost a year of weekend / evening use, my filter still looks brand new.

Mind you, bags with their smaller surface areas would tend to clog up more quickly than a pleated filter, and many users take the "beat the bag" approach to cleaning, which works to free it up as well...

Bag or canister, you really should use a separator, either Thien, or at the very least, a neutral vane, before the filter media to keep it flowing freely....
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Neutral Vane or Thien Seperator? Or both

Any opinions on whether the neutral vane or the Thien seperator work better? Any reason not to do both?