Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Review: Festool's New TDK Drill/Drivers

Review: Festool's New TDK Drill/Drivers

Thanks to Bob Marino, I had the opportunity to test drive Festool's new TDK drill/drivers which are the follow-on to their TDD product. Available in both a 12v and 15.6v version, the company has produced a great product set that is a step above almost anything else on the market--something that folks will certainly expect from Festool.

Both versions are well made, comfortable in the hand, well-balanced and come in the expected Systainer. As you can see, there are only minor differences in size, most notable in the width of the battery pack on the 15.6v unit. They weigh in at 4.4 and 5 lbs, respectively. In addition to the standard single-hand operation chuck, they both come with Festool's Centrotec chuck for use with drivers and other quick-change accessories. The company claims that this reduces the weight of the drill/drivers by nearly a half pound which should be pleasing when you are driving lots of screws overhead, etc. My only issue with this system is that it will not accept "standard" quick-change driver bits without use of an adapter...they are slightly too big, undoubtely due to metric/inch differences. Festool also offers several other chuck options, including a right angle version and an offset version for getting in close to objects. These all snap on and off merely by pressing a quick release ring. That system works beautifully!

Height-wise, the TDK drill/drivers are about the same as my Dewalt 14.4v XRP as shown here and with the Centrotec chuck in use, the length is noticably shorter. But where you really gain some advantage when working in tight spaces is with drivers inserted directly into the chuck attachment point. Check out the difference here...

Both drills perform as advertised with two speed ranges, forward/reverse switches where you expect them and a very good clutch system to avoid over driving. There is a noticable difference in the torque with the 15.6v version, however...hit the gas and it will twist your hand. The 12v unit was mild in comparison. To that end, if you buy the TDD as a second drill/driver when you have a high power unit already available, by all means the 12v version will be a good choice and will save you $50. For an "only drill/driver" situation or when you know you'll want the extra power, choose the 15.6v tool.

Lastly, these drill/drivers are not inexpensive and you can get a lot of utility out of the more common brands/models available with a lower investment. But I have to say that Festool has kept to their "system" philosophy with these tools and added a huge amount of versatility in the process. For some folks, this will definitely make the investment more comfortable. With multiple, quick-change chuck styles available, compact design and high quality, these Festool drill/drivers are exactly what you'd expect from the company. They get an "all ten fingers" rating from me! (Hello, Santa?....... )
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-09-2004 at 10:49 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for the review, Jim! Looks as though Festool is up to its usual standards! I've had the "older" 12v for a number of months now and, even though it's in a "stable" of 4 cordless drills, it's the one I pick up first! Pricier, but worth in the long run, which may even turn out to be the better deal!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

So Jim, worth the money? My favorite tool in the shop in my 12V XRP drill. Is it worth two to three times the price.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

Excellent review Jim. Thanks for posting and taking the time to review and post pics. Now you can use those on getting that bay window put in.!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Thanks for the review Jim. I paticularly like the fact that you included pictures and that you lined the drill up against the DeWalt in those pictures.

Your review reinforces my deision to make the TDK 12 volt drill my first battery operated tool (and, I add that I thought untill very recently that I would never purchase a battery operated tool). I have not bought the drill yet but hope to do so in November.

I was wondering if any of you "festool fools" saw the new "ask this old house" last week? The opening scene had the festool screw gun in it, and then later in the show they did a segment on drill bits using the festool drill....looked like a nice tool.

ANOTHER Festool Rave???!!!!! I can't stand it!!!! How am I supposed to convince my wife that I need a $300 drill????? But now that I know it's out there, I have to have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton
    I was wondering if any of you "festool fools" saw the new "ask this old house" last week? The opening scene had the festool screw gun in it, and then later in the show they did a segment on drill bits using the festool drill....looked like a nice tool.
    Tom Silva is a convert to Festool compliments of our own Uncle Bob. You'll see something Festool in his hand in nearly every issue of This Old House Magazine, too...the current issue shows him with a really dirty CDD drill/driver. Speaking of drill bits...the ones in the Systainers are about the best quality quick-change bits I've ever seen. They exude quality...I kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Now you can use those on getting that bay window put in.!!
    Windows have been in for awhile. Pella just has to show up on Monday as prommised to finish up a bunch of "little things" on the exterior that are flashing related, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Diemer
    So Jim, worth the money? My favorite tool in the shop in my 12V XRP drill. Is it worth two to three times the price.
    Excellent question, Jack. For many folks, especially when they just want a basic drill/driver, no. But if you feel you can benefit from the versatility that the Festool offers with the interchangable chucks, etc., as well as more compact design, yes. The three year warranty isn't horrible thing, either, especially if you are a pro or a near-pro. They also have a 30 day return policy if you find it just isn't what you want or expect. Seriously, when I'm ready to retire my "other" drill/driver (an old PC 14.4), the Festool is likely to be the replacement despite the cost. It's the most comfortable one I've had in my hand...even better than the Dewalt which I love.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-10-2004 at 10:21 AM.

Hi Jack.

$300? I think that you will need to save a few more pennies. I think the older version was more than that. Jim what is the MSRP on these?
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McKinley
    Jim what is the MSRP on these?
    Not inexpensive...but they do have those nice multi-tool discounts!

TDK 15.6 CE $375
    TDK 12 CE $325
    TDK 12 CE Set $435 (includes right angle and eccentric chucks, too)

All include both the regular single-hand chuck, Centrotec quick-change chuck, 4mm wood bit, phillips driver and bit holder in addition to a second battery and the charger in a Systainer.

Great review Jim....thanks.

Drool Drool Drool oh darn I just rusted up the chuck on both of my Makita 9.6 drills & all my pipe clamps. Now I'll have to buy 2 Festool drills & a bunch of Bessy clamps.... Whats that Dear ....oh I should get out the WD40 & wipe the rust off along with the grin on my face darn.

Naw just kidding around I have had both drills for a number of years & can't seem to kill them. They work just fine for the work I do. I wouldn't build a deck with them but even on their second set of batteries the will still break screws if I'm not carefully. I have the 2 speed & the 2 speed variable speed. I purchased the 2 speed for $50 brand new at a garage sale. So I am still ahead as far as cost of the batteries. As far as pipe clamps...well you already know, Jim.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Promo Available!

Uncle Bob just called, ostensibly to let me know he's on his way over, but more importantly to let me know there are promo prices available on the new TDK drills and sets...here they are:

TDK 12 CE $275
    TDK 12CE Set $375
    TDK 15.6 CE $325

These prices are in effect through 30 November, so if you really want one of these, this month and next is the time to buy. (Frank!!) Also, there is free shipping on all tools through 31 December.

I'm also going to add one more comment. The drill/drivers were the one product set in the Festool line that I wasn't terribly interested in (other than the planer for which I have no application in my work, although it's incredible for what it does). That changed after working with these drill/drivers. Now, I want one. Sheesh! (Touching is DANGEROUS!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker

These prices are in effect through 30 November, so if you really want one of these, this month and next is the time to buy. (Frank!!) Also, there is free shipping on all tools through 31 December.
    Yes, Jim I am very aware of the deal and the deadline.

However, the free shipping does not apply to Canada Shipping to Canada is double in "normal" times so you would think that Festool could at least cut it in half for this deal.

Hi Jim,

thanks for this nice review.
    I'd like to point out that the eccentric and the right angle chuck are an excellent addition to the Festool drill. Apart from the fact that they are unique (I think Panasonic offered a eccentric drill some while back) they are extremely handy at difficult operations such as drilling and driving in tight spots.
    For those who are contemplating a Festool drill I can only recommend to get the package which includes both chucks if you don't feel the need for 15.6 V power.

I can't wait to see some pics of the Festool demo!

Regards,

Christian (who uses his dad's 12 V CDD drill and both chucks for about two years now)
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Shipping to Canada is double in "normal" times so you would think that Festool could at least cut it in half for this deal.
    Frank

We need to get a group buy together for Canada, and arrange for some more reasonable shipping than UPS ground. My Festool order had an extra $75 in brokerage fees tacked on courtesy of UPS. That's not duty or taxes, just brokerage fees. On Ebay I won't deal with anyone that ships UPS ground.
    Can't you order Festool through Woodcraft. If so maybe we could get it shipped to Woodcraft in Buffalo, and somebody could pick it up there. Anyone else from S. Ontario interested in a Festool buy?
    Last edited by Steve Evans; 10-10-2004 at 12:42 PM.