Thread: Xenetech tri star / dormant engraver

1. Xenetech tri star / dormant engraver

I have an opportunity to purchase a long dormant (7 or more years) xenetech tri star engraver. Owner purchased it many years ago hoping to go into business and never did. Since the tri star is a discontinued item I was hoping to hear from people who owned it. How well did it work, especially the cylindrical attachment since Xenetech can no longer get parts for the cylindrical piece. Also, does anyone have any experiences with an engraver which wasn't used for more than 5 years? Are there problems with engravers if they stay dormant for so long?

I would not buy anything like that unless they turned it on and tested both raster and vector in front of me. Even so, I think I'd bring a tech along for inspection. But that's just me, maybe you are more mechanically inclined enough to judge electrical, motor, bulb, circuit boards, etc.

cheers, dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Xenetech is also not supporting my three machines. The company has really gone down hill in the last few years. Do a search on "Xenetech" in the forums, and you will see some eye openers.

Some may not be aware of this, but the company's founder died some years ago, and the support for both equipment and software took a nose dive. Stay away.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

The only cheap way to buy it is if it comes with the computer that the software is installed on. Xenetech will support it at a cost. If my memory serves, somewhere around $1000 just to switch the machine to your name in their machine, then since it is out of warranty, pay for the tech support as you go or up front for a year. I bought a 912 a few years ago on ebay & had to resell it after I found this out.

I already own a 9*12, GE and use a dahlgren 12*24 table. I'm looking to replace the 9*12 with a non viper product since there are issues with viper when you have internet security software on your computer. I'm most concerned with the dormancy and how it would affect the machine

I have 3 machines also. I'm looking for feedback on their tri star which I was interested in to replace my aging 9*12. Concerned that the machine I'm looking at was dormant for so long.

Also, does anyone have any experiences with an engraver which wasn't used for more than 5 years?
    Johnathan,

If it were a laser it would be a bodanker. But I've never known dormancy to be a problem with any mechanical engraver, and specifically a Xenetech. I would be concerned, however, that the owner has discarded the APU card that went in his win98(likely) box. Quite often when an owner ceases using an older style engraver they have long since forgotten that a vital part of the (legacy) Xenetech system is that APU(Auxiliary Processing Unit). The Tri Star is still serviceable except for the cylindrical attachment.
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Blog Entries
    What the he!! is a "bodanker"?
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Thanks for asking that, Dan, I thought I was the only one out of the loop....

dee
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    "Boat anchor" with a bit of Texas swagger.
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Brewer View Post
    Johnathan,

If it were a laser it would be a bodanker. But I've never known dormancy to be a problem with any mechanical engraver, and specifically a Xenetech. I would be concerned, however, that the owner has discarded the APU card that went in his win98(likely) box. Quite often when an owner ceases using an older style engraver they have long since forgotten that a vital part of the (legacy) Xenetech system is that APU(Auxiliary Processing Unit). The Tri Star is still serviceable except for the cylindrical attachment.
    If anyone has a PCI board for the Xenetech, I would pay $400 for it (as long as it works!)

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.