Thread: Xenetech Star 9x12

Xenetech Star 9x12

I'm looking at a 2000 Zenetech Star rotary engraver to purchase with what looks like an older controller. Does anyone know if the software will run on my XP computer? Do you think the software can be upgraded?

The price is reasonable and I don't think I will use it very often (except when I need metal name plates), but I don't want to get stuck with something unusable either.

Does anyone have any experience with this equipment? I am also curious about the JCut 3030 desktop CNC machine. Anyone know anything about it either?

Thanks
    Last edited by Garrick David; 12-21-2009 at 4:56 PM. Reason: added info
    Garrick D. Crocker
    Gainesville, Fl

PowerSharp 16 w/rotary
    Corel X3
    Zenbot, Mach 3, VCarve
    48" ValueJet, 54" Vinyl Cutter

Garrick

I would call Xenetech as I do not believe their software is transferable without paying a fee.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I'm looking at a 2000 Zenetech Star rotary engraver to purchase with what looks like an older controller. Does anyone know if the software will run on my XP computer? Do you think the software can be upgraded?
    David,

I assume you mean a Star 912(in 2000 Xenetech manufactured a Tri Star model in addition to the Star 912). Yes the software can be upgraded to run on XP if it is not already 32bit. The real question, however, is "what kind of APU(Auxillary Processing Unit that plugs into a desktop's available slot) does it have?" In 2000, Xenetech was using a full size(13"+) ISA slot and it would be very unlikely that your XP box will accept that. Around 50% of the systems of that era have been upgraded to a short ISA slot or a PCI card. The short ISA still won't work unless your box is over 5 years old. The PCI APU will work on modern desktops.

Very often, the APU card is discarded with the win98(likely) PC. In that case, it is a bodanker. If the price is right and you have room for a win98 PC, the Star 912 is an extremely capable workhouse with miniscule cost of ownership.
    Roy Brewer[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog/Control Laser/Roland engravers/Xenetech

The owner says it has the larger card.

I'd love to play with it and the price is right, but another part of me says wait for something a little more current and a little more "bullet proof".

Thank you so much for your help. Let me know if you come across something (a little) used that is reasonable.

Thanks again!!!
    Garrick D. Crocker
    Gainesville, Fl

PowerSharp 16 w/rotary
    Corel X3
    Zenbot, Mach 3, VCarve

5. star 9*12

I might be interested in this machine if you are not. please email me @
    pricequote@wholesaleengaving.com with info on the person selling it if you decide not to purchase it.

thanks

I seem to remember Steve Shepards Dad talking about needing to upgrade a controller card for his Xenetech Rotary Engraver not to long ago. I believe he said they wanted an unbelievable amount of money for the card.

Call them, I'll bet that the answer they give you will make the decision easy

Blog Entries
    They make full-size external ISA card extension racks for PCs... not a very popular item, but they're around for this exact reason. I believe the cost will be a few hundred bucks, plus or minus.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    They make full-size external ISA card extension racks for PCs... not a very popular item, but they're around for this exact reason. I believe the cost will be a few hundred bucks, plus or minus.

Dan... do you have a source for this? Will it allow the older full length ISA card to run on a PCI bus? Xenetech left me hanging sying they no longer support our machines. They no longer even make the PCI cards.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Blog Entries
    Cyber Research has been around for a while:
    http://www.cyberresearch.com/store/c...400_3226.2.htm

Also consider USB to ISA extenders (don't know if this would work for your situation/driver, but worth a call and a look-at:
    http://www.arstech.com/item--usb2isa.html
    http://www.arstech.com/item--usb2isax3.html
    I believe they are willing to accept a return if the card doesn't work for your app (email/call with details on the card to make sure).

If you just need to get the card outside of the confining case, try these extenders:
    http://www.twinind.com/subcategory/isa-extender-cards
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

It was on Ebay...not sure if it still is. Now I am considering a Phoenix and a Zenbot.
    Garrick D. Crocker
    Gainesville, Fl

PowerSharp 16 w/rotary
    Corel X3
    Zenbot, Mach 3, VCarve

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Cyber Research has been around for a while:
    http://www.cyberresearch.com/store/c...400_3226.2.htm

Also consider USB to ISA extenders (don't know if this would work for your situation/driver, but worth a call and a look-at:
    http://www.arstech.com/item--usb2isa.html
    http://www.arstech.com/item--usb2isax3.html
    I believe they are willing to accept a return if the card doesn't work for your app (email/call with details on the card to make sure).

If you just need to get the card outside of the confining case, try these extenders:
    http://www.twinind.com/subcategory/isa-extender-cards

Dan.... thank you for your help! Much appreciated!

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

Correct Keith, it's Q1 Engravers out of California. Anyone can google them. I don't know which model it upgrades, but I know it upgrades our machine, which is stuck in W95 land because of this stupid upgrade nonsense they do, where they leave you high and dry.

Xenetech wanted about $5,000 to go to the viper package on our machine. Q1 has a board that goes in the same box. So you can open up your electronics box (can't think of the right now for it right now), and you remove the guts, replace it with this new board from Q1, and you're set. It makes it a modern day compatible machine. USB ports, the works.

Only issue was the Xenetech software won't "drive" the machine, you have to install Engravelab, which is pricey.

I do remember the upgrade from Q1 being about $2,500 roughly.

So $2,500 frees you from Xenetech's grip on electronics and software.

I also know the Xenetech tables can easily be made to work with some other packages. I believe you can make a Xenetech table work with a Vision system electronics package.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Mark and Garret,

Why not just get an old win98 PC? Cost under a hundred bucks, drop a NIC card in and use it as the print server. If the ISA card was designed to run under win98, it makes sense to me but then what would ...
    Dave J
    Forums: Where all too often, logic is the first casualty.