Thread: Been on the rack - what torture

Talking Been on the rack - what torture

I have finally finished my wood racks. The two board racks have 5 levels. One is 8'x3' and the other is 10'x3'. The sheet rack is 4' wide. All are welded steel (I know blasphemy!). However, each rack is on wheels and capable of supporting up to 4500 lb.

The teenager in the picture is my neighbor's son - agreed to teach him how to weld.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Very nice Bob,

Been a while, we've missed you.
    More pix of your progress please! Not for my self mind you but for the other folks
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Robert it looks like you need to build another sheet rack, that one is full. They all look nice.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Beautiful job Robert. I love the fact that they are on wheels. Very handy.

I like it!! Steel is good for applications like this. I would have no trouble adding something like that to my shop.

Bob, they look great! Are they for cutoffs or long stock?

I'm into storing both sheet goods and lumber vertically. It takes up less floor space, and you can flip through either like a library's card catalog to get to pieces in back. I have, essentially, the same racks that Home Depot uses for their whitewood. I have 5 twelve footers, and they are full. (Can you spell "wood collector?"!)

I think I would have designed something that took up less wall space too. Wall space is a commodity in my 1200 sf shop, but your's is pretty big, so maybe it's not a problem.

Todd

Awe man, now I really need an excuse to get out to Colorado...your shop is really "getting there"! (Nice job on those racks)

Yes, the sheet rack is full - but half to 2/3 of that material is going to disappear as I make the shop cabinets. And some of it is junk I am going to use to cover some wood I am drying.

I thought about vertical storage but was concerned about wood warping. This way the wood is supported every 16" on center by a 1.5" piece of steel. Small and long pieces can then be stored. Using the 2"x4" tube steel at the bottom keeps the rack from bending in the middle. Since I do have the wall space on that side there is no problem with using horizontal storage.

Nice rack Bob! Nice to see you posting again!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bob, those are excellent racks. I weld as well and a steel wood rack is somewhere on my "to do" list. I too store all my hardwood horizontally because I have had boards warp when I leave them too long in the vertically. My sheet goods are on a cart like they have at the borgs (vertical) and I've noticed that some of the BB that I've had in there for a while is starting to warp. But I definitely do not have the room to store 4x8's horizontally.

Be well,

Doc

Robert,

Very nice work, but are you sure your neighbor isn't expecting you to keep him there? Having raised two, that's the perfect environment from puberty till about age 25!

Now those are stout lumber racks!

Beautiful!

(I wish I had that much space )
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly C. Hanna
    I like it!! Steel is good for applications like this. I would have no trouble adding something like that to my shop.
    In theory. I have no trouble either. In practice, I could not fit it in anywhere.

Nice racks

Mine are old pallet racks, cut up and redone. Really make nice racks, though not portable like yours. Good idea being portable.

Steve

Need more pics of your HUGE shop

Great racks - Just wish I had the room for them. At last look I had the 4th smallest shop here.......and One of the smaller ones is a WALK-IN CLOSET! Oh well. there are Haves and there are HAVE NOTS. You know which I am. But I'm havin" FUN!

Have fun in your nice shop!

Bruce

PS: Just looked again......WOW .....I'm up to SEVENTH smallest now. HeHe
    Last edited by Bruce Shiverdecker; 10-10-2004 at 5:10 PM.