Thread: 6" Plastic Irrigation Pipe (PIP) .90/ft

6" Plastic Irrigation Pipe (PIP) .90/ft

Has anyone ever used this for their ducting? I was attempting to locate ASTM 2729 when I ran across this PIP at an irrigation supplier. At 90 cents a foot it's by far the best price.

Yes there is a downside, two actually. The OD is smaller 6.140 vs 6.275) than 2729 so you need different fittings, some of which aren't even made (wyes) and the wall thickness is only .076 vs .100.

For the fittings that can't be found some 'creative engineering' may be required to adapt normal fittings or, at that price I could afford to experiment and make my own.

The deal breaking question is, will this stuff work in a dust collection system without collapsing?

Has anyone had ANY experience with this stuff?

I can't comment on that material, so hopefully you don't find this post worthless.

IMO, you should factor convenience in to what you're willing to pay. If you can't find fittings, it's going to be a PITA to plumb your system.

If your configuration requires lots of pipe, the cost savings may be worth it. If it's a moderate to small system, your savings may not be significant vs. just going with ASTM 2729.

I bought my ASTM 2729 at a local hardware store for about $20 per 10ft pipe, about twice the cost of this pipe you're looking at. But I only had about 30 feet to run. So if I had gone with your pipe, I would've paid $30 less, but would've had to hassle with finding and fabricating fittings. $30 was easily worth it to me.

Just a thought.

Blog Entries
    The problem of fittings; every time I wanted to do something, would pretty much turn me off of it. The wall thickness is only about 1/32" thinner but, what is the material? My ASTM 2729 is very strong so if this stuff is similar, I don't know that collapse is an issue. The fittings are definitely an issue, for me anyway; deal breaker. Its too easy to order a fitting from Ace Online and have it just show up at the door. Making something or breaking out the duct tape every time I had an idea would wear on me. JMHO.

OK, hold that thought. I just went to get you the link to Ace Online . . . holy cats. The price for fittings has doubled in the last 10 months!!! At $19 for a wye vs. the $9.50 I paid, I might think about making them too.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-21-2009 at 5:35 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Kerry, check to see if you have a Horizon plumbing supply near you. I was quoted 1.14/ft over the phone for the 2729. Wyes were 17 something, about 3.00 less than Lowes, and els were higher than Lowes. McMaster Carr is the best place for the 6" fittings that I've found. But they don't have the 6-6-4 wyes, or 22.5 degree els. If that doesn't work, let me know. There is another place that has some outlets in NM that I bought all my current pipe from here in Ft. Worth...I just can't think of their name. Ah (Google is my friend ) Morrison Supply. To to: http://morsco.com/ and click the location tab, click on NM on the map and it shows 4 or 5 places they are at. Just ask for thin wall gravity fed 6" pipe...they don't know what 2729 is. Oh, and Horizon is the cheaper of the 2 on pipe. Morrison says they have no fittings at all. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

For 2729 stuff try Menards - wyes were $9.19 last weekend, which I thought was high at the time. Maybe now that price seems better if what you all say is true everywhere in your area.

I can't see how they have doubled up the prices - that seems crazy. Not saying they have not done it - it is crazy when I bet they not selling half what they used to. Or is that the new scam - can't sell much so rachet it up 2, 3, 4 times what it was?

I think sticking with 2729 s&d is the way to go because fittings are available. I just bought the white 2729 for $1.10 a foot. Interesting fact, was quoted $1.80 for the green 2729 so its worth comparing their prices.

Paid $17 for wyes tho. When I first started looking for pipe I was looking at sched 40 prices (what i'm used to) and found the price for wyes to be $90...so $17 sounded cheap to me

Definitely a cost benefit situation but my vote would be go with a pipe that you can get fittings for fairly easily.

Thanks for all the responses. Here are the problems;
    No Menards or Horizon in the area.
    Blue and Orange don't carry 6" pipe, some schedule 40 fittings which prices are out of this world ($20.47 for a 45).
    Ferguson only has SDR35 pipe (no fittings ) at $68.00/20'.
    Morrison has decent prices on on fittings ($7.45 for a 45) but doesn't stock 2729 (still waiting on call back about special ordering).
    Sierra Irrigation has this SDR81 (PIP) and the fittings (45, couplers, caps). Wyes and reducers are special order. The wyes look a bit restrictive at the joint so I would most likely make my own.

At a casual glance, you couldn't tell the difference between this and 2729. The gentleman I spoke with said he gets a lot of people buying this for workshop dust collection and home vacuum systems. No horror stories so it must be working.

If I can find 2729 I will use it just because I can get all the fittings I need, but if not then this is at least an alternative.

I'll let you know which direction I go.

Kerry, did you ask for 6" thin wall gravity fed pipe? I had to go out on the lot at the Morrison here and show them the pipe, and point out the ATSM-2729 painted on the side of it. They just don't know the ATSM designation. If they are close, go down and look. If not, let me know and I'll find a receipt that has their part # on it. Another woodworker in Houston had to do that, and the pipe was in stock. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

blown away

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Kerry, did you ask for 6" thin wall gravity fed pipe? I had to go out on the lot at the Morrison here and show them the pipe, and point out the ATSM-2729 painted on the side of it. They just don't know the ATSM designation. If they are close, go down and look. If not, let me know and I'll find a receipt that has their part # on it. Another woodworker in Houston had to do that, and the pipe was in stock. Jim.

Maybe its just me but are all woodworkers as nice as the people on SMC?

I'd have to say i think its woodworkers in general because of the guys I baught my Craigslist stuff from have all been really nice, cool people.

No comment on the topic, just wanted to derail the conversation to point out that.

Some wood forums are nicer than others. This is one of the few really good ones! Lots of help from everyone, and definitely a "pay it forward" attitude when it comes to helping others. Jim.

Josh and Jim, I'd have to agree with you, that was what attracted me here in the first place.

Jim, yep I told them I wanted D2729, commonly known as thin wall gravity fed. They said they could get it (probably) but he didn't have a price on it. Their prices on fittings were better than anyone else. The price on SDR35 was just okay ($2.38/ft).

I did find another supplier (Barrons) twenty miles away that knew what I was talking about and even spent time looking at alternatives, by the time it was all said and done SDR35 was the way to go, at least where I'm at.

So it looks like I'll get fittings from Morrison (wye-$14.36, 45-$7.39, couplers- $4.54) and pipe from Barrons (SDR-35- $1.68/ft).

All other options were cost prohibitive when it came to fittings.

Kerry, keep in mind that the pipe has bell ends on one end to join pipe to pipe without a coupler if you have a run over 10' without a fitting somewhere in the middle. I only have one coupler in my ductwork, and that's because I took out that one wye as I was re-plumbing for the new saw, and the way mine is set up, I couldn't get a solid piece in there without major major deconstruction and reconstruction. All the fittings have the female ends on both sides, so no coupler needed there. Jim.

Thanks Jim, I had thought about that. More than likely I won't need any couplers but I figured while I was getting prices I may as well ask.

Hope your having a very Merry Christmas!

Cheers
    Kerry