Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st TIME WITH MAHOGANY ???

Quote Originally Posted by Michael O'Sullivan View Post
    What do people think about Sapele as a substitute for Mahogany? Around here at least (in the Northeast) it tends to be a little less expensive than Hon. Mahogany.

I love Sapele and bought 350 bdft a few years ago. I do not think it is a substitute for mahogany but a wood that stands on its own. Unless you are trying to match a mahogany piece I see no reason why you couldn't use it. Here are a few projects I've done with mine.

Ok I am going to prove my ignorance. I there a difference between Sapele and "African Mahogony". From the pictures they look the same to me.

I have redone my house with "African" per the guys I bought it from. I have made all of my own baseboards, casing, built ins etc from the stuff. The grain changes can be a problem but I find them beautiful. I bet I have used 750 - 1000 bd ft of it.

I looks just like the pictures of the Sapele

Someone educate me please.

This thread was starting to get buried so I am bringing it forward.

Hate to bother you guys on Christmas but I would like to know if there is a difference between Sapele and "African" Mahagony.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by William M Johnson View Post
    This thread was starting to get buried so I am bringing it forward.

Hate to bother you guys on Christmas but I would like to know if there is a difference between Sapele and "African" Mahagony.

Bill
    according to fine woodworking magazine, there is a difference.
    they did a feature on all the "mahoganies" a few issues ago.
    according to them, Sapele (Entandrophragma Cylindricum) and Khaya, or African Mahogany (khaya ivorensis) are two separate species. The confusion arises from the fact that both species are indeed from Africa!

Khaya is "long recognized as a good alternative to Cuban and Honduras mahogany..." and, "... is similar... in color and figure, and cost much less..." than those woods.

Sapele, "while highly figured... is quite distinct and won't be mistaken for Cuban or Honduras mahogany."

I can tell you that here in the northeast, the two hardwood dealers I use most often don't or won't recognize the difference between these two woods. Ask for either and get Sapele. They do offer both ribbon stripped sapele, which is the really figured stuff with light and dark stripes, along with rift sawn sapele, which (imho) is a better choice for furniture that will benefit from the quieter figure.

This issue of FW also lists another African species called "Sipo", which they rate as the best, but hardest to find alternative to Honduras and Cuban mahogany.

BTW, FW lists prices for these three African woods as $6-7/bf,
    while Cuban and Honduras are $20+ and $10+, respectively.

In my area, the prices for hardwoods are dropping fast over the last 6-7 months, and I can get what my lumber dealer calls 'african mahogany' right now for less than $5/bf, and very large boards are available, which is nice.

The issue quoted is #207, Sept/Oct 2009, the Sam Maloof issue.

Hope this helps.

FWIW, I have worked with Sapele on a few projects and have found that you do need to take care while planing by hand and routing but it is a very satisfying material to craft with.

Good Luck,
    Happy Holidays to all!

Blog Entries
    I scrolled this out of one piece of Honduran Mahogany and is a dream to cut and shape.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have a Nice Day!

Yes, African Mahogany and Sapele are different woods. Each page has about a million pictures of each wood too, so you can compare more samples for yourself.

You can read about them here. Click on the fact sheets for more properties.
    http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/w...%20african.htm

http://hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/sapele.htm

HTH.

Ryan
    Remember this when you work with wood:

"I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence, I can reach for; perfection is God's business. "
    Michael J. Fox

I love working with the stuff. I have been fortunate enough to work with many different varieties and it is by far my favorite wood to work with. Yes it has pores but those are easily overcome. As others have said, sharp tools good setup and you will be fine.
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson