Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neanderthals on DIY

Neanderthals on DIY

I was watching a repeat of "Cool Tools" on the DIY network, and they had a 10 minute spot on a Lie Nielson showing and all the "neanderthals" that showed up. Everyon had a beard. They spot lighted the dovetail chisels.

I thought it was pretty good. Much was said about wanting to make better things when you have a better tool in your hand.

I saw that last night too, and of course I told my wife if she had any last minute Christmas shopping, that tenon saw would look great beside my dovetail saw
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Can I see this online anywhere?

Am I the only Lie Nielsen fan who is under 30, clean-shaven and who does not wear flannel shirts?

Probably not, since I think a lot of people of my generation are dismayed by their parents' lack of traditional skills, as my parents' generation was the first to be born firmly rooted in post-WWII consumer culture.

Obviously both of these statements reflect broad generalizations reliant on inferences that are tenuous at best.

It seems many of my generation romanticize traditional skills, but we have more disposable time and income than the practitioners of those skills in generations of yore. I don't need to make a living with hand tools--god knows I couldn't if I wanted to. I sit in a cubicle all day so when I get home I am not physically exhausted from working with my hands and I relish an opportunity to release some energy.

We raise chickens in our tiny urban backyards. We plant gardens and dry fruit and pretend the organic milk we buy at Whole Foods tastes like the milk that raised our fore bearers. We dust off our grandparents' old tools, sewing machines, etc.

Sorry. Conjecturing over.

Zach, you might not be the only one under 30, but you are certainly in the minority. If you look at the demographics produced for the potential advertisers in the various woodworking magazines you will note that subscribers are overwhelmingly male, over 45, and well above average in family income. In our own Guild of NH Woodworkers, out of over 500 members only about a dozen are female and less than 10% are under the age of 40. Like many, I suspect strongly that income level, the demands and costs of rasing a family, and a focus on both building a career and increasing income all conspire to produce serious woodworkers who are past the child rearing age.

I was unusual and fortunate that woodworking has always been a family tradition and the tools and instruction were available to me at home from an early age. Most folks don't have that luck. Besides, us old farts rule.
    Last edited by Dave Anderson NH; 12-23-2009 at 2:05 PM. Reason: missing words
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I grew up remodeling houses, but was never exposed to woodworking beyond basic trim/finish work. However, I had a good basic foundation in using tools.

I also am not faced with the obligations of a spouse or family. My spare time and disposable income are mine alone. I have the luxury of leading a very selfish existence. I am married to my hobbies, and woodworking is only one of many.

Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by Zach England View Post
    Am I the only Lie Nielsen fan who is under 30, clean-shaven and who does not wear flannel shirts?

Probably not, since I think a lot of people of my generation are dismayed by their parents' lack of traditional skills, as my parents' generation was the first to be born firmly rooted in post-WWII consumer culture.

Obviously both of these statements reflect broad generalizations reliant on inferences that are tenuous at best.

It seems many of my generation romanticize traditional skills, but we have more disposable time and income than the practitioners of those skills in generations of yore. I don't need to make a living with hand tools--god knows I couldn't if I wanted to. I sit in a cubicle all day so when I get home I am not physically exhausted from working with my hands and I relish an opportunity to release some energy.

We raise chickens in our tiny urban backyards. We plant gardens and dry fruit and pretend the organic milk we buy at Whole Foods tastes like the milk that raised our fore bearers. We dust off our grandparents' old tools, sewing machines, etc.

Sorry. Conjecturing over.
    Zach,

I'm a fellow clean shaven, under 30 fan of Lie-Nielsen and all things hand tool. Must be a Zach thing...

Zach
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

not limited to Zachs only

I am still under 30 for now, clean shaven as well. I use hand tools for the vast majority of all that I do. The tailed apprentices do get used from time to time to break down rough stock.

Zach, I was under 30 when I started taking woodworking seriously. I've always had hobbies that included building things in one manner or other. The arrival of my two sons put an abrupt halt to any hobby that needed weekend time. Now that they are done with all the sports and activities, I'm back to making sawdust and shavings. I tend to feel the biggest hurdle for those under 30 is having someplace to set up a workshop. No way most are going to give up space in the garage for that bimmer.

Most of the guys who I look up to the most for woodworking mentorship are older, bearded, and not afraid of flannel or analogous attire.
    Mark Maleski

Time will cure the first malady. If yer lucky . The other two are up to you. What are you waiting for? BTW, loggers boots are good, too.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I've seen artist's recreations of Neanderthals in National Geographic and Scientific American and they always have beards.

Quote Originally Posted by James Baker SD View Post
    I've seen artist's recreations of Neanderthals in National Geographic and Scientific American and they always have beards.
    Even the fine ladies.

Yet another, right here. Though I do occasionally wear flannel on the weekend. . .

Got a year till I hit the 30, haven't had a beard in 10 years, most likely to catch me in a T-shirt, shorts, and Birkenstocks than a flannel! ok, ok, I do swap out the sandals for boots when I'm actually working in the shop

Of course the only L-N tool I could justify for the price so far has been the dt saw. Here's to hoping Santa's being generous this year
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.