Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorized Router Lift

Motorized Router Lift

Hi All;
    The task of changing router bits in my router table became characterized by skinned knuckles, frustration, and a tendency to design projects around the profile of the bit that was already in the machine!
    A great deal on a brand new PC 7518 gave me the justification needed to add a router lift - which would solve all the above problems. I researched the market and decided on either a Bench Dog or a Woodpecker-both in the $300 range. While mulling over the choice, I acquired a 3' linear slide with 4 ball slide carriages at a local surplus store- for $1.00. That got me thinking and I found a linear actuator with an Acme thread at an online surplus store -$35.00 with shipping. Also found a 1 to 1 right angle drive at the first surplus store- another $1.00.
    In the course of a long weekend ,I built a adapter frame to hold the router, machined a few couplings,cut the linear slide bar, cut the leg off a large C-clamp to get an arm with an Acme thread, added a hand wheel and some switches and ended up with the motorized router lift you see below.

The unit travels a total of 5 inches- momentary switch controls up/down position and limit switches on actuator are set to determine top and bottom stops.-10 seconds to move from top to bottom! Handwheel is coupled to top of actuator shaft with right angle drive to allow fine setting of depth. I also wired in switch to control power to dust collector. Table top has router cut recessed opening with red plexiglas laser cut inserts and T-slot channels for fence.

I have to whole unit mounted at the end of my radial arm saw bench and enclosed in a plywood box with a 4" dust collection port/gate on the bottom, but 2" collection hose on fence seems to work great as router forces a lot of air upwards and keeps chips out of the box.

The end result is a rock solid setup with fast bit changes, fast height settings- and no bruised knuckles!- and all for less than $60 in parts and material excluding the router itself.
    I have seen linear slides available on Ebay for $20 to $50. Also linear actuators for $20 to $100, but best deals are at www.surpluscenter.com/ which also has momentary switches.
    Sprocket wheels and belt can also be used for handwheel drive if right angle drive not available.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Motorized Router Lift-More Pics

Here's a few more pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    OK! Now I've seen it all. To cool Geo!
    PS What is an ACME thread
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 10-11-2004 at 9:27 AM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

And I thought I was strange!

George, that’s a seriously cool router lift. The design & execution are first rate!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

George,

Amazing adaptation. Just another example of how out-classed I am. Now all you need to do is add a digital system to dial in the height adjustment and you'd be all set. Just write down your settings and be ready to go.

There are probably plenty of people out there that would gladly pay for a motorized adjustment mechanism.

Thanks for sharing.

Jack

Thumbs up Too cool

George that is way cool. The word for the day is ingenious and you just earned the word. I love it. However, you may just have too much time on your hands...
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

WOW! Awesome lift. Thanks for the great pics.

Man....now all you need is something to put the bit in the router...tighten in...turn it on and make the cut....all at once.

Really neat!!!

Impressive work! Thanks for sharing, George.

Regards,

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

That's just way too cool.!!!!! I need to do something like that. Details, need more details.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

That's very ingenious. Excellent idea and execution, all the way down to the switch plate labels. Fantastic project.

Be well,

Doc

That's way too cool George. Now if I can just understand how you did it
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Hi George,

That is really neat. I think I'll make one. I really enjoy doing stuff like that.

Speaking of digical...check out the quill kit about half way down the page on this link. I bet you could mount one on your lift. Hey, what the heck, they are only $29.

http://www.cme-tools.com/calipers2003.html

I put one on my drill press (I know, I know, how anal can can a guy get?). Now my countersunk holes are all perfectly even.

how about installing a clapper. that should really top it off. one clap...up, two claps....down, snap of a finger raises the bit 1/16th of an inch. now there's a project.....................actually that does sond neat, gotta figure out how to do this,hehe

sascha

Motorized Router Lift Followup

Hi All;
    First of all , thanks for all the kind words and suggestions. To answer:

Tyler-see attached drawing for pic of Acme thread- you probably have a few in your shop on clamps or crossfeeds on lathes/machine tools.

Digital readout- neat idea but not practical for me as bits are seldom locked in a same height and very seldom need that accurate of a replication.

Ditto on clapper-LOML would probably have me put away in a quiet, dark place- and I don't mean the basement!

For those of you who wanted more details, email me at perzel@frontiernet.net and I will send you some pdf files and instructions as I can't figure how to add them here or they may be too large.
    George M. Perzel