Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Well, another weekend has come and gone. Boy time sure does fly the older I get.!

No shop time this weekend......well, yes I did....I spent several hours Saturday working on wiring up the Joe Meazle Shop. That's right, I went over to help Joe wire his shop and tie in his electrical service to his shop as well. I think we had a GREAT time.!!!! It was dreary and rainy, but we did real good and got the shop all wired up, panel built and service tied in all 5 hours time. I am happy to say that it was great to spend time with a fellow woodworker and friend and helping them get power to their shop.

Church Sunday and family night is always Sunday night where we do Nachos and watch a little tv together as a family.

Back to work today. So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all....
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Saturday was the monthly Woodworker's Club of Houston meeting. Seminar was given by Texas Kiln Products out of Bastrop. Satuday afternoon was talking with a client, some shop cleanup. Saturday evening was Mexican food with friends. Sunday after church, and after the nap(!), got the cherry blanket chests finished.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    It ain't over yet! A big four day-er going down in the hood. Took in a little culture with a great folk concert over bye the UofM. More home work for the WW unplugged class. Still trimming out windows and doors and incorporating some scary sharp Neander tools to fine tune the joinery . I'm liking the blend of both worlds.

Putting some of the final touches on the Minneapple SMC Get together. It's show time.

Today a little time with mom and maybe some antiquing with a combo of fall colors.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I worked on getting the spare out of the bed of the old Chevy truck and up under the back end via a swing out tire carrier. Got it from a guy for $20!

Then I started the rehab on the new shop to kitchen door. The new one was rotted at the bottom so I cut off the last two inches and replaced it with a cut 2x4. Installed the cat door so the shop cat can roam at will and polished the window in the top half. Also got the first coat of paint on it. That's all I did except rest a bit.

Well no shop time this weekend (most of my time is during the week). Me and the Mrs. went for a hike in the woods on Sunday. She picked leaves and I looked at fabulous oak trees wondering what kind of lumber they would produce. Next weekend is the woodworking show in downtown Minneapolis. I gotta figure I'll be playing with some new toy next weekend.

Inspired by "Woodturning Techniques" Saturday night on DIY, my kids and I made a bunch of tops yesterday and colored them with magic marker. Kids had a ball, although I split a few dowels in the process!! Also hooked up my dust collector to a Long Ranger III. What a luxury not having to walk over to the DC, bend down and flip the switch every time I want to use it!!

Unlike Tyler, I'm back to work today, although it'll be a slow day for us corporate types as the stock markets are all closed.

Jack

All of the soffits and overhangs are done on the shed. Welp... almost done. Its just my luck that I ran out of beaded pannel with only a 4"x10" spot left on the soffit. I may have enough scrap to piece it together. I sure hope I dont have to buy another $20 sheet of plywood. I also have started the trim work and I have 14 bundles of cedar shingles for next weekend.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

Still the weekend here for me Finishing up a little corner shelving unit for my daughters room. She helped by cutting out the face pattern with a jigsaw. Mom was a bit nervous...but she did an awesome job.

It was a "black and green" weekend for the most part. Since Bob Marino brought his family down to enjoy the long weekend, he dropped off a whole bunch of stuff on Saturday morning in preparation for our "Festool-val" on Sunday. (see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12781) I had some quality time with both the soon-to-be-released-to-the-US OF 1400 EQ Plus router (~12 amps and really smooth...review to come soon) and the new TDK drill/drivers. (see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12766) I also got a little progress done on the armoire project (see http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12329) by getting the carcass glued up. This is my "largest" project so far, at least vertically, and I'm looking forward to the next steps, which include building the doors, two internal drawers and some custom molding work for the crown.

Dr SWMBO and I also moved the fishies inside from the small pond we built in what was originally a dug well out front. Although it's 30" deep, 12" of that is above ground and we felt it was marginal for them to survive the winter, especially with a colder one predicted. So the 7 Shebunks and Goldfish now live in a 15 gallon stock tank in the basement with all the comforts of "home". They are still getting used to the new environment, especially after the trauma of the "evil net", but should be quite happy over the coming winter months.

And now on to a fun-filled week of non-stop conference calls, etc....gotta be able to pay for that future "black and green" that I'm coveting. Hands-on is dangerous to the wallet! Enjoy a safe week!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not much shop time this weekend......Saturday..worked on MR scanner magnet..changed coldhead.....Sunday morning took LOML to breakfast.....shopped for parts needed to complete the Service Entry wiring to my new shop. Made a couple trips to hospital to check on new coldhead and adjust seating of same.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald
    Not much shop time this weekend......Saturday..worked on MR scanner magnet..changed coldhead.....Sunday morning took LOML to breakfast.....shopped for parts needed to complete the Service Entry wiring to my new shop. Made a couple trips to hospital to check on new coldhead and adjust seating of same.
    Ken,
    I don't know what you just said I understand LOML and breakfast and even have an extensive back ground in hospitals , I know sevice entry but the rest? Wud up??
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

No shop time. Friday Night I went to see a concert - .38 Special, Night Ranger and Shooting Star (a local band that was big in early 80's). Great night, date with the wife.

Saturday and Sunday was spent out at Kansas Speedway watching the Busch and Nextel races. Two great days, awesome weather and great finishes.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

No Shop Time. LOML's Grandmother visited on Friday, Camping with the family on Saturday, Big Sur, CA. Beautiful!!! First time my wife's camped and I think she's done for awhile. Our daughter had a great time getting dirty but had a hard time sleeping in the tent. My wife and her ended up sleeping in the car, leaving me to a big tent and not a lot of covers. COLD! Sunday afternoon was relaxing and football. 49ers WIN!!!! First this year, maybe things are looking up. Always great to get out and look at nature, even if you do sit and think about which big oak would make the best coffee table.

Jon

Worked on my outside patio pavers and stone wall most of the time- the cooler weather finally makes grunt work easier for me. Put in a couple hours on a cherry jewelry box. Time to attack the dovetailed drawers with my unused PC Dovetail jig. This will be a first for me, hope I don't screw them up too badly .

Bob

Metalworking instead of woodworking

I spent the weekend making 130 marking knife blades from O-1 tool steel precision ground bar stock. Made all of the cuts to length, ground the shanks to width, stamped the Chester Toolworks acorn logo on the blanks, ground points, ground blade bevels, and got 60 of them heat treated. I would have completed the heat treating of the rest of the blades but I ran out of propane for my torch. I guess I need to stop at HD on my way home from work tonite to get a couple of more tanks for the torch. The only actual working with wood this weekend was making a fixture to hold the makers mark stamp vertical and position it over the right place on the blades when using the arbor press. Stamping 130 impressions by hand with an arbor press has had me running for the Advil since Saturday nite. Maybe this coming weekend I can actually find time to butcher some wood.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH