Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Routers, which one?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    See, it's a good thing I asked! I would have completly misses the Milwaukee. Think I'll go see one in person this weekend. I'm leaning towards two 5615's. Thanks guys!
    I have had nothing but problems with milwaukee routers. Steer Clear. I would suggest a a D-handle for dovetail jig work. Prevents having to find the switch all the time. The bosch 1618evs is my next router purchase.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    I have had nothing but problems with milwaukee routers. Steer Clear. I would suggest a a D-handle for dovetail jig work. Prevents having to find the switch all the time. The bosch 1618evs is my next router purchase.
    Hi Glen, This is the second post I have seen from you about problems with Milwaukee routers. I'm curious, what the trouble was and around when it happened. I've used them heavily for a few years now and so far, so good.

I know that awhile before I bought my 5625 back in 2006, there was a run of machines that had bearing problems. Milwaukee announced this and repaired them under warranty. Mine turned out to have been made about 6 months after the incident so I wasn't affected. I just haven't heard of anything else specific and am wondering what to watch out for.

I am with you on the D-handle style. I haven't bit the bullet yet but there have been a few times I would have liked that feature.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just as a heads up, it looks like Bosch has a new design on the horizon:

http://blogs.popularwoodworking.com/...outer+Kit.aspx

I have a D handle attachment for an older PC 690 and I have had very good use from DeWalt 621.

What I suggest is take a “culture trip” to several of the Big Box stores and/or your local wood and tool supplier and handle the various models. You’ll soon discover which one(s) fit your hands and those that don’t. Once you find the model(s) that best fits your hands, you can then start looking for the best price.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Hi Glen, This is the second post I have seen from you about problems with Milwaukee routers. I'm curious, what the trouble was and around when it happened. I've used them heavily for a few years now and so far, so good.
    I bought a their 2 1/4 HP router with variable speed and it would not stay running. I took it back and it worked long enough for me to not be able to return it then started having the same problem. Took that to my local repair shop three times before I gave up on the thing. It was in repair longer than the amount of time I used it, and decided it was not longer economical for me to worry with the thing. I believe it was the variable speed that couldn't handle the amp draw under load. I just steer clear of milwaukee routers and milwaukee in general now, as I have seen a decline in their quality in the last 20 years. I still like their sawzall and their magnum drill, but I will not just pick up a milwaukee tool simply because it is milwaukee like I used to.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Butler View Post
    I bought a their 2 1/4 HP router with variable speed and it would not stay running. I took it back and it worked long enough for me to not be able to return it then started having the same problem.
    Ouch. Yep, that would sour me too. I have a couple of products that I avoid due to experiences like that, despite other folks here really liking them.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-26-2009 at 1:00 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler